PART 17 - DAMIAN

Elle enters the living room after what seems like ages. Ever since she disappeared back to the hallway, I've been on edge. Of course, I trust Manuel to comfort her properly, but right now I can't handle not being able to not be with her. Especially when I have Blair trying to convince me to let him take over.

"Come on, just for a minute. I just want to check up on my mate, isn't that normal? She's fucking crying, yeah?"

"As if you're not planning to kill whoever made her sad."

"Well, maybe... But it's not like they don't deserve to suffer."

I have to admit it's not easy to ignore when you absolutely agree.

I pretend to focus on the game. Spoiler alert: I'm not.
It's crazy to me how these guys can just continue to play this game they've been playing the whole day when this woman just entered crying and left without any explanation. Especially Zach and Elijah, since they've known her for a while.

"So, we're not going to talk about what just happened?" I say, breaking the silence that has now lasted way too long.

"She wouldn't want us to talk about her, I think." Elijah said, not taking his eyes off the game.

I looked at him sideways, still with the console in my hand, as if I care about winning this stupid thing. Don't they want to know?

Benjamin and Ezra both looked at me. I gave them a look that said: I need to know what happened.

"Where was she the entire afternoon anyway?" Benjamin asked casually.

"With that good-for-nothing Angel. I really can't stand him, but his little sister is really close with Elle. You know, the model one named Mia? Their parents are going through a pretty rough divorce, so the Oaks are treating them better than they deserve. Well, I mean, Angel of course. Mia's pretty alright."

"I. Will. Fucking. Kill. Him."

Blair's voice melted together with my own as anger took control of me.
My hands clutched the gaming console as I tried to stay calm, I can't let my wolf out right now. Not here.

"Focus on Elle. First, you need to be there for her. After that, you can take your revenge. This isn't about you." Benjamin mindlinked me.

We made eye contact and I shakily nodded, my grip loosening slightly.
I imagined Elle - not the crying one that makes me want to break everything breakable in this world, starting with that little fucker's bones - but the one that makes me forget about the rest of the world with her little smile and that sweet voice. And the way her golden hair moves around her perfect face as if they were woven by Arachne herself.

I could feel my shoulders relax and my breath - together with my heartbeat - calmed down as if I was falling asleep.

"Well, fuck him." I said, keeping back the other things I wanted to say.
I redirected my attention to the screen, but not before Zach looked at me with an apologetic look.

"Good, keep on doing that." Benjamin continued in my head.

Minutes later, Manuel joined us again. He didn't say a lot, which is unlike him. It worried me, but I managed to stay calm. I considered checking up on my girl, but she probably wanted to be alone. If that's what she needs, I'll make sure she gets it.

Luckily I didn't have to endure the uncertainty too long because she came down a while later. We had switched to another game in the meantime, and everyone was a little less silent, until she came in.
I guess everyone was more curious than they cared to admit.

She sat down next to Zach, who sat next to me. Her sweet scent entered my system, and it was like her presence brought something in me back to life that I hadn't even noticed died.

Zach pulled her under his blanket, and she seemed to relax a little.
She looked around the room, probably avoiding my gaze, though, and made some kind of weird eye contact with Ezra, who then broke it again and turned his gaze back to the game before mindlinking me. "So this is the girl that's supposed to be my Luna? I must say she does look like one."

"She does." I responded.

After a while, when the room wasn't silent any more like before, she stood up and walked over to the hallway. I watched her from behind, she changed into a pair of baggy joggers and a tight, long-sleeved, white shirt. Her hair was put up in a cute bun that looked like it could fall apart anytime.

When she exited the door, I quickly said something about getting some more drinks and followed Elle, hoping no one would notice I wasn't heading to the kitchen at all.

I could hear her footsteps pick up speed, but before she reached the top of the staircase, I quietly called out her name. "Elle."

She turned around on the step, and I tried to ignore my fear of her misstepping and falling as she looked at me expectedly.

"How... How are you?" I asked. How does all my confidence seem to disappear when I'm around her?

"I'm fine." She paused. "Thanks for asking."

I started walking up the stairs, approaching her slowly.

"What happened?"