Phoenix Feathers (Luke Castellan x Iris!reader) pt. 3

wc: 1688

a/n: screw it, I'm changing to third person. I hate 2nd person with a passion. 

Evangeline ran through the woods, taking shallow breaths as her lungs burned from exertion; gods, she hated capture the flag. 

A group of Hephaestus kids had been chasing her for what felt like the past hour. Gina kept her eyes open, searching desperately for some place to duck, cover, and rest. Finally after eons more of running, she found a bush. Uncaring of the consequences, Gina dived in.

It was a very nice bush all considered. Sure there were some bristles digging into her back... and legs, and arms, but it was better than being out there. Gina was catching her breath, when she heard a chirping sound coming from beyond the bush. 

Normally this would be a very easy sound to dismiss, but the bird sounded so sad! Evangeline poked her head out of the bush, and right there in front of her was an adorable baby bird. It was looking up, and trying to flap its wings (a pitiful attempt). 

Gina looked up to see a bird's nest, where a bunch more chirpy squeaks were originating from. The poor bird must have fallen! Looking around her, Gina jumped out of the bush.

She stayed wary of the area around her, as she was positive the Hephaestus kids hadn't finished with her. Not that she blamed them of course. Gina had made an adjustable mirror that could blind anyone coming near the flag, and it was safe to say they were pretty pissed. 

After properly scanning the area, Gina walked over to the little bird. Right next to it, was a wildflower patch of northern blue flag. She'd have to pick some of those for Luke later.

Evangeline took the animal in her hands. The nest really wasn't that far from the ground, and Gina could reach it just by standing up, but for a bird that young it obviously posed some challenges. She was about to place it in its nest when she heard a voice,

"There she is! I found her guys!" Shit. Knowing her position was compromised she defeatedly turned around, trying to show she meant no harm,

"You can beat me up or whatever in one second, let me just put this bird back in its nest." Gina yelled to the other camper, who was about to stick her head through a spear. Luckily though, he wasn't a complete monster. The camper put his sword down momentarily, still ready to pounce at the soonest opportunity.

Evangeline lifted up the bird. It felt so small, and fragile in her stubby and soft hands. The nest really wasn't that high up, and Gina didn't even have to go on her tippy toes to reach it. She plopped it back into its nest. 

She took about 0.1 seconds to feel happy for the good work she had done before she remembered who was behind her. Mentally preparing herself for the chase that was about to ensue, she slowly pivoted her body towards the Hephaestus kid,

"Okay, I'm ready."

The camper smiled, unfathomably excited about the cardio. He half stepped towards Gina before he stopped, mouth slightly agape. He was looking right above her head and for a second she thought it had something to do with the birds. But when she looked up, she knew it wasn't.

Right above her head was a gorgeous, perfectly arched rainbow. Evangeline reached out her hand to touch it, and could feel the colors with her hand. Each one so different and complex, she felt she had known this rainbow for ages.

After she was done gawking at the rainbow that sat right above her, she looked back at the Hephaestus kid. He looked... disappointed. Slowly she watched as his face of disappointment, turned into one of begrudging acceptance,