Chapter 15: "The Annex for Candidates"

Hyacinth and the other candidates sat down awkwardly.

Recently, the Duke asked his people to build something. Rumors say that it is a store room for the knights armors and many more. The Duke called all the candidates to his castle, saying that he will have an announcement to make.

The Duke announced that all the candidates will be temporarily live in the newly build West Annex. It is a test to show one’s talent and worthiness. Some may think that this is ridiculous but the Duke believes that the West Annex will be a foundation of friendship between the candidates.

“Seek who to trust and who is the foe.”  This is the Duke’s last words before leaving the hall, this statement run through Hyacinth’s mind.

Lavelie looked at Hyacinth and decided to start a conversation.

“The Duke holds a lot of good ideas, don't you think so?” Lavelie said and took a sip of her tea.

The Goddess, daughter of the Marquess and Marchioness.’ Hyacinth thought.

“Indeed, Lady Lavelie, I hope that we will be able to create new friendships ahead.” Giannis answered.

Sébastien’s childhood friend.’

“I must say, rumors about you Lady Hyacinth being a Barbarian is not true. You look like just a normal noble lady to me.” Beatrice snickered.

A sorceress? You are not that even good to be this cocky.’ Hyacinth remained calm.

“An Archeress as a Duchess? That is pretty absurd.” Ayhra added.

This two-faced of a woman.’ Hyacinth swears she almost knocked the life out of Ayhra.

Typical Nobles, downgrading each other to make themselves on top.’ Lavelie thought. She noticed Hyacinth keeping her composure and she thought that Hyacinth is trying hard not to kick their asses of. She chuckled at the thought.

“Well, having the brave, strong, mighty, and passionate Archeress as Lady Hyacinth as our Duchess is not a bad idea. The people of Fleuvan wouldn't worry about their safety, having Lady Hyacinth as their Duchess.” Giannis argued and smiled at Hyacinth. Hyacinth smiled back.

Maybe this is what Sébastien meant.’ Hyacinth thought and smiled.

As the tension around the candidates grow stronger, a butler ended the tension between them with an announcement.

“I apologize for cutting in your conversation but your respective rooms are ready.”

All of the candidates stood up in unison and followed the butler. Hyacinth entered her room and was surprised how amazing her room was.

Her room had a green wallpaper on the walls, a wide window, a royal-like bed like those on Victorian based movies, and there were crossbows as ornaments. For Hyacinth, her room was perfect. She hurriedly flopped on her bed and stared at the ceiling and to her surprise, her ceiling was a dome-shaped glass.

“I hope your room is to your liking, my lady. The Duke asked your parents of what are the things you like and the other maids so that you will not go home sick. I will get going now, my lady.” the butler said and closed the door behind.

“This is the Duke’s idea? He will get through such lengths just to make us, the candidates, comfortable?” Hyacinth mumbled and went to take a nap.