Chapter 10: "Who does this girl think she is?"

“I heard you have been visiting the the Duke lately, my darling. Perhaps, you have taken to like him. As you know, the Duke is known for his beauty that even women from other empire fancies the Duke!” the Countess exclaimed.

‘Like? Nonsense.’ Hyacinth thought.

“Oh it is nothing, mother. I was only visiting the Duke to check if he is alright. I only care for his well-being.” Hyacinth replied, but deep inside, it was quite the opposite. Hyacinth hates the Duke! The Duke kissed her without her permission and even worse, the Duke got Hyacinth’s first kiss!

The couple smiled at eachother. They thought that Hyacinth and the Duke are in good terms.

“The Duke announced earlier that all the candidates will come to the castle for a banquet. I already called one of the famous tailor to pick a suitable dress for you. All dresses looks good on you, dear child but you might need to stand out.” the Count informed Hyacinth. Hyacinth doesn't want to go but the Duke himself announced so she can't really escape the situation.

One of the butlers informed them that the tailor just arrived. Hyacinth went to her room and freshened up.

The Count and Countess chose her dress since Hyacinth can't decide. They chose a off shoulder wine red mermaid gown for her with a slit in the left leg. They then chose jewelries that compliment the gown. They styled her hair and put make-up on her.

“You look stunning, my darling. You will be the fairest of them all.” the Countess said. Even the Count, tailor, and the maids agree to the Countess’ statement.

She went to mirror and looked at her self. The Countess was right, she is the fairest of them all.

Hyacinth bid her goodbyes and the couple wished her luck.

The Duke only had 5 canditates for the Duchess position. First candidate is Lavelie Querol, daughter of Marquess and Marchioness Querol. She is known for her goddess like beauty that even the Crown Prince of a another empire courted her. Second candidate is Beatrice Haffner, eldest daughter of the most powerful sorcerer and sorceress of Deluvan Empire. She learned how to do magic in the age of two. Third candidate is Giannis Casanova, daughter of the Former Duke’s secretary. Giannis and Sébastien are childhood friends. Fourth canditate is Ayhra and the last one is Hyacinth.

Hyacinth is happy for she could finally meet Ayhra, her soon-to-be-bestfriend. Despite the rude attitude shown to her last meeting, Hyacinth is still excited and tried to understand the situation.

The Duke’s garden is magnificent. The Former Duchess actually designed this garden, she is known as very fond of plants. The banquet hall was glorious. In there is the Duke and the four candidates.

They’re waiting for me. How embarassing.’ Hyacinth mentally face palmed. As she sat, she waved at Ayhra but Ayhra greeted her with an annoyed look and an eye roll.

Rude.’ Hyacinth thought. She looked at the other candidates, they all are looking gorgeous. Ayhra is wearing a western gown.

‘The Duke must have provided her some dresses. Ohhh, I smell romanceeee!!” Hyacinth happily thought.

Hyacinth looked at the Duke and saw him staring at her. The Duke actually set his eyes on Hyacinth ever since she arrived. The other candidates seemed to notice and some of them were jealous while the rest cheered as they thought they were a great match!

Hyacinth felt awkward and looked the other way. She saw Lavelie staring at her and Lavelie smiled and waved. She also greeted back.

“I have gathered you all ladies today for I want you to meet each other. This may seem questionable but I hope you all become friends and help each other. This may seem a competition but for me, it is not. I already have a future wife in mind and I'm just keeping you all as I am obliging the law.” the Duke said and took a sip of his tea.

“I am sure Your Highness that you and your future wife in mind are a great pair.” Lavelie said and looked at Hyacinth. Hyacinth didn't notice Lavelie as she was busy munching on the macaroons served by the Duke.

The Duke looked at Hyacinth who is munching cutely.

A great match indeed.’ the Duke unconsciously thought.

The other candidates were curious on who is the woman that caught the Duke's heart. But one thing is for sure, Lavelie is certain that the Fleuvan’s Future Duchess will be Hyacinth.