M. Night Sham-Aliens! | S1E4

You, Rick, and Morty end up in a simulation! And the only way to escape is by... nudity? What the hell?

Season 1, Episode 4

Word Count- 4,982

. . .

Morty and I completed our walk around the neighborhood, and we both were in a decent mood. It was sunny, not too hot, it was almost... perfect. It was a little strange. I hear Rick's aggravated voice as we round over to the garage.

"T-T-T-This is just sloppy craftsmanship." He groans, I raise my eyebrows when I see what he is working on. It was a rat on its back, open belly with its rib cage poking out. But not even grotesque mangled rodents can ruin this fine day.

"Hey, Rick!" The two of us greet, I see his shoulders tense slightly and he lets out an annoyed sigh at our simultaneous greeting.

"Boy, sure is really especially beautiful out there today, huh?" Morty smiles, placing his hands on his hips as he walks around near the garage door. I rested my back on our parents' car in the driveway. I nod in agreement to Morty, not like Rick can see it. He continues to mess with the rat's innards.

"Oh, yes, Morty." Rick replied blandly.

"I-it's almost unbelievable, isn't it?" Morty said.

"It feels like a perfect day to me." I add.

"Yeah, you know?" Rick says sarcastically, he doesn't lift his head from his work.

"There's something about the air and just the way the sunshine is." Morty continues.

"Uh, sure, buddy. Yeah." Rick dismisses. "Sure. B-brilliant. Very convincing."

"Wha... convincing?" Morty's expression falters; he turns to Rick completely.

"Oh. Responsive, too." Rick rolls his eyes, turning to look at the two of us now. "In real time. I love it."

"Uhh... okay." Morty mumbles.

"What are you even talking about, Rick?" I question, Mom comes out of the house and nearly bumps into me to get into the car. She gives Morty and me blank stares. She stiffly opens the door.

"I'm going to work." She declared? Her tone was completely robotic, it sounded like a command. Creepily unnatural. "Twins, good morning." She deadpanned. Her still gaze locked onto Rick who was now standing in the middle of the garage. "Dad, good morning." He only rolled his eyes in response. "I am going to work. Goodbye." She puts her hand out the driver's seat window and waves the entire time she's in our eyesight. Morty and I share a glance before we turn back to Rick.

"What's with mom?" The two of us ask, Rick's annoyance heightened, and he turns back to work on the rat.

"Oh, what's with mom?!" He repeated suspiciously. "So, you're saying that she's acting weird?"

"That's exactly what we're saying." I frown.

"How sophisticated." He burped. "Careful, guys. You're gonna burn out the CPU with this one." He pointed up at the sky with a tool before looking back.

"Okay, you know what, Rick?" Morty's face furrows as he walks up to Rick. "You're acting weird, too."

"Whatever, quote-unquote 'Morty'." Rick does air quotes around Morty's name. God, what is up with today?

"He's obviously in a mood Morty, let's go. We'll see you after school, Rick." I shrug and start to walk off. Morty doesn't add anything and follows before ramming straight into the doorway's wall.