8: ON A RAINY DAY I LOVED YOU

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧  

(4:17 PM,

04-09-2012,

Bengaluru, India) 

"Riri, why did you come without an umbrella? It's pouring"

"Oh please, Sansy! Why would you wanna go shopping on a day like this?" Reeth asked the girl being all drenched in the rain. They stood under the roof of a local bus stop near their school and waited for a while.

"Let's go Sansy. I don't think the rain's gonna stop anytime soon."

"We'll get all wet Ri! I don't wanna stink"

"I don't want to come shopping with you tomorrow again. We're going now or we're going home. Your choice" Reeth almost gave an ultimatum to the protesting girl.

As both were bickering, soon echoed a sound that heard like someone's running. Almost like it was in slow motion, the chime resonated against the pitter-patter of the rain drops; tsik-tsik-tsik. There appeared a face, swamped- that still looked fresh like a daisy; she was having fun. Her melanin adorned skin radiated with the reflection of the dial of her watch as the sun played hide-and-seek with its light. She had a wide smile and her lips which were glazed with red lipstick that glistened with the rain dripping on them. Her mid-length curly hair danced as she ran. And those eyes- bright, full of life unlike that gloomy day. Those eyes were singing. Eyes can sing, he realised it that day. It was a sweet melody- with the rain as their tune, and her steps as a beat. He didn't observe but she came towards him.

He was astounded to speak or even to move after it became obvious that she was coming straight for him.

She jumped onto the pool of water that formed at the bus stop's railing and then onto the podium. Her eyes were bright, more like they were in search of something. As she came close, he could see a mole on her cheek, that bounced with her pace. It looked like it was dancing with joy. A little pimple popped on the left of her chin, that had its own charm

As he was wondering, she grabbed his blue checkered shirt that overlaid on his now sheer white tee

"Mister Student, I swear I'll return this" her voice was in haze, he almost didn't hear it as he was in a trance that was awfully slower than the mere minute in which she approached, said something, caught him and turned him, pulled his shirt and threw her bag on him

"My ID is in the bag Mister Student, find me!" She said and ran. "You can have the bag though! Feel free to enjoy the chocolates innit!" she said aloud with a smile as she turned towards him while running and wore his shirt.

Just as she took a right turn and disappeared, a boy was seen running behind her with a completely different mood

"Did you see a girl wearing a white tank and jeans? She has curly hair-"

"No" Reeth replied without even thinking. And the man continued his search. He looked angry and kept cursing.

"Woah! What was that? She was such a pick me!" Reeth's friend said displeased and grabbed the bag that the girl threw into Reeth's hands.

She ran through her wet bag and found a few books that were nameless. A few were handwritten notes with a beautiful handwriting. However, each page was written in a different direction. A page is written with the letters slanted towards the right and the next were straight. There were also terrible scribbling doodles here and there

"These are the same books we have for this year" she said looking at Reeth

"Hmm?" he hummed in question

"Where is her ID? Wow, nice! No ID!" the girl continued to search

"No ID? Tsk!" Reeth almost sulked

"She tricked you Riri and took away your Burberry shirt that you bought in Rome"

"It's weird that you remember where I bought it"

"I won't forget anything related to you Riri!"

"Here you go, the chocolates! At the least, she said one thing true. Look at this filthy bag!" when she was about to throw it away, Reeth caught it

The bag was old but was of a luxury brand. There were keychains to all the zippers of the bag. One of a Ramen bowl and one of a snake. There was one of a middle-finger and one of a strawberry cake. Each keychain was contrasting to the other and had their own disposition.

Everything about her intrigued him. All her things wore her personality. Who was she?

"Riri, why the bag-?" As the girl was about to grab the bag, Reeth interfered and wore the bag on his shoulder

"You said shopping, right? Let's go" 

That was the first time he ever saw her, and the first time he ever felt that way. One thing he never thought was how much of a huge space she was about to occupy in his heart. 

✩₊˚

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Amidst the many memories that we make, amidst being forgetful of even simple matters, amidst the chaos of the rest of the world, I always wonder how we remember our first meeting with that dear person in our life. That is why, first meetings are special. 

Like it is meant to be, it's miraculous how a person crashes into our life and crams into our closest thoughts and prayers. This makes me smile at the fascinations of the world. What a brilliant universe we live in!

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Dearest stars, I hope the first meetings of the people that may cram into your thoughts be pleasant, and I hope you remember that first day and smile about it. Happy Weekend!