Chapter Seventeen

*Dr. James Barker *

I checked my watch, 8 o’clock. It had been over 24 hours since Alpha Caspian had brought the Luna into the hospital wing of the pack house. His fear had been so thick I could have tasted it. Her body was so hot I had to use heat resistant gloves to examine her. She appeared unharmed, though unconscious. The Alpha informed me about the impressive display of her power, sending the enemy running for the woods. I presumed that it had been this display that had rendered her unconscious. Under the watchful eye of the Alpha, I had packed ice under her cold water-soaked blankets to cool the fire, before persuading him to allow me to treat the burns that carrying the Luna had caused on his arms and chest. He hadn’t left her side all day or night, until this morning, when Beta John had come to tell him that the pack was gathering for the meeting. Even then, he only agreed when I told him I would not leave her side and would tell him the moment she came to, that had been only twenty minutes ago.

I stood, walking over to her bed. I lifted the layers of blanket, checking that the ice packs were still frozen. For the first fifteen hours, it had taken my bed maids nearly ten trips every hour to refill the packs and wet the blankets. Her skin had immediately melted any ice that touched her, and the blankets seemed to dry in a matter of a minute. Thankfully, the ice was still frozen, now for a hour and a half since they were changed. I leaned over, placing my stethoscope on her chest. I was listening intently to the steady beating of her heart when she suddenly bolted upright. Her eyes were wide with panic. I hushed her, “It’s okay, Luna. It’s me, Dr. Barker.” I placed hand on her shoulder. “You’re okay.” The panic left her eyes and her body relaxed as I slowly helped her lay back against her pillow.

“Thirsty.” Her voice came out as a hoarse whisper. I mind-linked a bed maid, who rushed in with a glass of water. The Luna took it with shaky hands. I helped her steady it, as she drained the glass in a few seconds, letting out a heavy breath. “Luna, I know you’re tired, but I have some very important information for you. I was hoping to tell you and the Alpha yesterday, but…” She nodded, understanding. She listened intently as I told her what I knew about her power. When I was done, she looked at me, asking,

“Where’s Caspian?”

“He’s meeting with the pack, Luna.” She cocked her head. “About last night’s attack.” Her eyes widened, no doubt remembering what had happened to her and before I could stop her, she jumped out of the bed. I took off after her as she headed for the dining room, my calls only seeming to add to her speed.

*Kalama*

I could hear Dr. Barker’s footsteps running after me. I ignored his calls, running to the dining. I could hear yelling coming from behind the closed doors, “She could kill us.” said one. Another, “She’s the reason we were attacked.” I growled, pushing the doors open with enough force that they banged against the walls. The room became quiet, and everyone turned to look. I felt everyone inhale as they realized who it was. I squared my shoulders and slowly made my way to the front of the room. Caspian held my gaze, and I felt his voice as he mind-linked me.

“Thank the Goddess. You’re awake. Are you okay? You should be in bed.” I have him a little laugh. His concern warmed me.

“Don’t worry my Alpha. I’m okay.” I walked to stand next him, taking his hand in mine. I nodded to my parents, who stood to the side. I could see the relief in their eyes. I took a deep breath and looked at the crowd. Whispers floated around the room. I met Julie’s eyes. She hugged Grace to her. Grace looked up at me and smiled, as though she was reassuring me. Julie smiled and nodded. I let out another deep breath and took a step forward. The whispers stopped and fear hung thick in the room. My pack was afraid of me, a feeling I knew all to well. They were ready to cast me out, to make me a target for other packs. Perhaps to even turn me over to Elliot. I squared my shoulders. “I want to apologize.” 

Surprise swept over their faces. “I am sorry that I have put you in danger of Elliot Haynes and I am sorry that I was not truthful about the power I process.” I took a steady breath, fighting the lump that formed in my throat. “It is true. I killed Evan Haynes, former Alpha of the Blood Moon pack. I did it with my fire, because…” I slipped the hospital grown from my body, allowing it to drop to the floor, and slowly turned. Sounds of shock rippled through the room as everyone saw the scars that lined my body. “I was tortured for two years by Evan Haynes and the Blood Moon pack. My fire saved me from his hand, but at a cost.” I swallowed, as I turned to face them. “I did not know what was happening as my wolf held me back until we were out. I did not know what I was until recently. I made Alpha Caspian, and the other Ranked members promise to keep it secret. You have every right to be angry and scared, because until yesterday I could not control the flames. I am an Elemental Wolf. I am a direct descendent of Pyro, first son of the Moon Goddess and the Elemental God, Malvo. Such a wolf has not been born for hundreds of years and are extremely valuable to their pack. However, that makes them and their pack a target to those seeking power. I understand if you want me out. Some may even wish to see me killed but believe me when I say only our enemies should fear my flames. I made a promise to you when I agreed to be your Luna and I would like the chance to make good on that promise should you choose to let me.”

The room was eerily quiet as everyone took in my words. I was on the verge of tears when an Omega she-wolf stood, a pup on one hip and three others by her side. I recognized two of the pups, a girl around ten and a boy around six with a bandage on his forehead. “Luna Kalama saved my pups yesterday. My Emma and Calub told us how she burned two and kept the third away by making a path with flames so they could get to the safety of the pack house. Had it not been for the Luna’s power my pups…” Her voice broke, as tears slid down her cheeks. Her mate put his arm around her, hushing her and bowed his head to me. A Warrior step from the wall, his neck was bandaged and a fresh pink scar ran down his cheek. 

“I saw the Luna engulfed in flame. I saw how she took down enemy after enemy with fire balls. She saved a few of us,” He motioned to a few other Warriors along the wall, “when we thought they had us. The flames never touched us.” Julie stood, walking to stand next to me.

“Luna Kalama has become my friend. My pups love her, as do I.” As if to drive her mother’s point across, Grace reached out to me, begging me to hold her. A tear slipped down my face as I took her. “I believed my Luna when she promised to protect us, to stand with us. I believe her now when she says her flame will not hurt any of us.” Grace giggled, wrapping her little arms around my neck. Caspian stood next to me, a hand on my back. He had remained behind as I talked, silently encouraging me. I leaned into him, letting his fresh, rainfall scent surround me. Whispers went around the room and then everyone stood, chanting,

“Fire Luna. Fire Luna.”

“Green Grove’s Fire Luna.” I couldn’t stop the tears as they flooded my eyes and my body shook with sobs. Caspian bent, retrieving my forgotten hospital grown, using it to cover my still naked body. I hugged Grace to me, as Caspian led me out of the room.