Chapter Thirteen

*Caspian*

It was difficult to focus after my conversation with Dr. Barker. My Love was already in danger from Elliot Haynes. Now, if word of her power got out, she would be sought by others. Other Alphas, who would only see the power she could provide them. Bay snarled and I couldn’t help the one that bubbled in my own throat. I shook my head, trying to clear the thoughts from my head, and looked back down at the report I had been reading. I had already read it several times, but somehow, I couldn’t recall what exactly it was for. Sighing, I closed the report, tossing it on a stack of others. I stood, walking over to the bay window, and looking out. The window over-looked the training field. 

Finn stood on the field, sparing with a Scout. Sam Nelson. Kalama sat on a bench. Sam and her wolf, Nova had joined the Warrior rank a year ago. It was very uncommon for someone to join a Warrior rank just months after getting their wolf, let alone leveling up within the rank in just a few months. Her brother, Ben and Jackson had their wolves for a couple years before joining the rank. Neal, of course, hadn’t been surprised, even as an Omega pup, Sam had been out on the field, training with her brothers on down time. As I watched, I could tell the training was paying off. Sam and Nova were smaller than Jackson and Ben’s wolves, Koda and Kylo, but what she lacked in size, she made up for in speed. My eyes fell on Kalama, who sat contently, watching. From my spot, I could see how focused she was on each move the two made. I looked over my shoulder at the Elemental Wolves book, Dr. Barker’s words played over in my head. I looked back at the training field. Neal had pinned Sam to the ground, a hand on her throat. Running my chin, I mind-linked Neal. “Neal in my office.” His reply was instant,

“Yes, Alpha.” I watched as he mind-linked Sam, walked over to Kalama, bowing his head, and then headed for the house. Sam also bowed her head to Kalama before running off to do whatever order Neal had given her. I watched as Kalama got up, walking back towards the house. Neal arrived a minute later, sweat matting his blonde hair.

“You wanted to see me, Alpha?” I nodded, motioning to the chair on the other side of my desk.

“Close the door and take a seat.” He did. I looked out the window, at the training fields. “Sam seems to be coming along well.” Neal nodded.

“So far, she has met all expectations. She has mentioned interest in being a Tracker.” I nodded, rubbing my chin. Scouting and Tracking were the same rank level, where many opted to just stick with one or the other, others did both before ranking up to Senior. It was these others that often reached the top rank of Elite. The wolves in this rank were few, with just five members, but they were the absolute best the Green Grove Pack had to offer. Both of Sam’s brothers were Elites. According to Neal’s reports, I had no doubt that Sam would join her brothers in the top. “Is something wrong, Alpha?” I looked at Neal, sighing. I could never hide anything from him or John. They always had my back. I pulled my chair out, sitting heavily. 

“I just got done talking with Dr. Barker.” I tapped the cover of the book. “He remembered a story from his traveling days about a young wolf that could move the Earth.” I met Neal’s gaze, concern swirling. I cleared my throat, “His story didn’t end well.” I took a deep breath. “Kalama is already in danger with Ethan Haynes. When word of her power gets out, she will only be in more. I know this Pack will do everything to keep her safe, however…”

“It would be better if she could protect herself.” Neal finished. I nodded.

“When do you want to start?”

“I have to talk to Kalama first, but as soon as possible is best.” Neal nodded. “There’s one more thing. Her power also needs training. As is, she is a threat to this Pack, and we have little knowledge of how strong she is or what exactly she can do. We would literally be putting ourselves in the line of fire. Neal raked a hand through his hair.