Chapter Fourteen

*Kalama*

I heard the whoosh of air, as Neal’s fist flew pass my left ear. Weeks ago, that would have been my face. I had realized on the first day that training with the Gamma of the Green Grove Pack was no easy feat. During these sessions, I was not the mate of Alpha Caspian. I was not Luna. Here, I was just another Warrior. My body had been beaten, bruised, and broken just as any Warriors’ and in all honesty, I was grateful for it, although, Caspian had not been thrilled to see the swelling and bruises.  The first week had been the hardest. Training started with a ten-mile run, that had left me vomiting by the end and so sore I could barely lift my arms. It was easier now, and I had no problems keeping up with Neal.

I danced out of the way a second time, dropping low, and coming back up with a jab of my own. Neal caught the blow, using my forward momentum to send me up and over his shoulder. The air gushed out of my lungs, as I landed on my back with a bone jarring crash. I laid there, gasping for air, as Neal rushed me. His foot slammed down on the empty floor where my head had been. I rolled out of the way again, my lungs burning still. I rushed to get back on my feet. I wasn’t quick enough as his foot connected with my stomach. The newly found air in my lungs, whooshed out and I was left gasping as he grabbed the back of my neck, pressing my face into the matted floor. He held me there for a moment, before letting go, allowing me to roll onto my back. He held out a hand. I gripped it, letting him pull me to my feet. He grinned, “That round was good. You landed some hits that time.” I rolled my eyes, knowing none of my hits had hurt him. I was sure I would have new bruises after that landing, though. He handed me a water bottle. I took it gratefully, taking a large gulp, before patting my face with a towel. “So, Luna Ceremony?” I nodded. Caspian would be announcing my Luna Ceremony at breakfast today. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Neal checked the clock on the far wall of the room, “We still have a few hours before breakfast. Let’s work on your fire.” 

I groaned. This was my least favorite part of training. All I needed to do was light a candle and then extinguish it, but my fire was so unpredictable and never seemed to do what I wanted it to. It also left me more exhausted than any of the physical training. In the past weeks, all I had managed to do was set a chair on fire and singe Neal’s pants. He grabbed the fire extinguisher from its place by the door. “Alright, sit.” Grumbling, I did, crossing my legs under me and rested my hands on my legs, palms up. He sat the candle on a metal crate and stepped behind me. I took a deep breath and another. The ticking of the clock seemed to echo through the room. “You’re stalling.” I sighed,

“Alright. Alright.” I took another deep breath, releasing it slowly and closed my eyes. Focusing on the warmth inside my mind, I followed it, delving deep inside myself, until I came to the raging flames. Calling to the flame was like calling to my wolf, Ash, but getting the flame to do what I wanted was a different story. I stretched out a hand, picturing a small ball of flame in the palm of my hand. Holding onto the image, I opened my eyes, looking at my hands, nothing.

“Try again.” I did, still nothing. It went like that for the last several hours, leaving me defeated and mostly frustrated. At seven o’clock, Neal ended the session, giving me a hour to shower and get ready for breakfast. I thanked Neal and headed out, my legs aching with each step to the third floor. The room was quiet. I made my way to the bathroom, stripping clothes from my sweat soaked body as I went. I turned the shower on and stepped under the spray, quickly washed, dressed, and headed downstairs to the dining hall. Caspian had called the entire pack this morning, so the dining hall was packed full of over a hundred members. I got in line with the others, letting the Kitchen Omegas fill my plate with French toast, bacon, ham, and scrambled eggs. I found Caspian sitting with John and Julie and Neal at the head of the room. John stood, “Allow me, Luna.” he said, pulling my chair out. I smiled, taking my seat next to Caspian.