Chapter Eight

*Kalama*

My back rested against Caspian’s flat stomach as we waded in the water of the pond. It had been several hours since we had left the pack house and several more since our wolves had allowed us to take control. Sparks lit up my skin as Caspian’s lips brushed against my neck.  “Well, Love?” His voice rumbled against my back. I sighed, I was not looking forward to the talk we had to have, but I had already tried to distract him in every way I could think of.

“Come on, Kalama.” Ash whispered. I sighed again, turning to face him.

“I think there are some things you need to know.” He nodded, his eyes studying my own. I let out a breath. “I am the only child of Alpha Phillip and Litta Edwards of the Silver Moon Pack. There were many rumors around the pack about me as a child and as an adult. I wasn’t allowed to play with the other pups and the men seemed to want nothing to do with me.” Caspian kept quiet, his eyes continued to study mine. He had listened to every word. I let out another breath, a lump forming in my throat. “I couldn’t wait to get my wolf and find my mate. My other half. The one person that was supposed to love me. To complete me.” I cleared my throat, “My parents threw me a huge party for my eighteen. Inviting Alphas from many different packs and I prayed to the Moon Goddess that one of them would be my mate and then I saw him. I saw Evan. He made my heart flutter. Ash warned me over and over again and I didn’t listen.” A tear rolled down my cheek. Caspian wiped the tear away.

“It’s okay, Kalama. Tell me.”

“Went to live with him a few weeks later. My parents were so happy that I went to a strong Alpha with a strong and wealthy pack and I was over the moon that I finally had the one thing I had always wanted. He listened when I talked and he cared, or I thought he did.” Ash growled. “Six months after I’d moved in, he came home late one night. He reeked of other she-wolves.” I chuckled a little. “I was so angry. I yelled at him, he yelled back and the fighting got worse, until he hit me. He kept hitting me and I blacked out.” Tears were rolling down my cheeks in a constant stream now and I couldn’t control the sobs that escaped my mouth. Caspian pulled me onto his lap, cradling me in his arms. I sniffed. “I woke up a few days later, naked and chained to the bed. He hurt me. He hurt me so bad and I couldn’t do anything to stop him.” I buried my face in his neck, inhaling his rainfall scent. The sobs turned into hiccups. “He kept me for two years. Then one night he came into the room, I could sense the things he wanted to do. I was weak, so it didn’t take much for him to knock me out. I seemed to float for a while in this blackness, then I felt Ash and she had this fire behind her, and then I woke up in a cave, not far from here

Caspian brushed his lips against mine. “I promise you, Kalama. No one will ever hurt you again. I will protect you and love you the way you should have been loved and protected.” I kissed him.

“I know you will.” I kissed him again, putting all the love I felt into it and he matched it. The kiss left us breathless. Caspian cleared his throat.

“Tell me where Evan is.” I opened my mouth to respond, but Caspian’s eyes had glazed over as he mind-linked a pack member. His face twisted in anger. “We have to go. Now.” He jumped out of the water, shifting as he ran. I followed, calling to Ash as I ran. We made it back in no time. I could hear people yelling at the front of the house. Neal and Julie waited at the edge of the yard for us. We shifted, accepting the clothes that Neal and Julie offered. “What’s going on Neal.” We dressed as we ran to the front. Pack members lined the front yard and porch. John stood in the middle, facing another man. Caspian grabbed my hand, leading me to stand next to John. My heart dropped.

*Caspian*

I felt Kalama’s fear. It was thick and seemed to coat the back of my throat. I squeezed her hand, trying to reassure her. I looked at the man who stood in front of John. He was around my own height, large in the arms and chest. His blonde hair was shaved and his brown eyes had an anger that I could taste. His eyes focused on Kalama and I could feel her shiver. The other man focused back on me, a snarl on his lips. “Alpha Caspian. I congratulate you. You’ve caught the traitor.” My own anger bubbled.