Chapter 8 - Caleb

HELLOOOOOOOO! Unfortunately I have not been able to update this book in a loooonnnnggggg time because of how busy my personal life has been:((((( However, I am hoping to be updating more regularly! I guess I'll see how it goes - no promises though! I have been active in regards to replying to comments/messages and looking at updates in my library/reading lists so do feel free to still comment and message! 

A lot of love xx 

Hope you enjoy!

CALEB'S POV

I find myself squeezed into the narrow confines of the air vent, my breath shallow and heartbeat loud in my ears. With each cautious movement, I feel the rough metal walls pressing in around me, the stale air heavy with dust and decay. Every shift in position sends a shiver down my spine, but I press on, driven by an unrelenting urge to explore and get myself out of this hellhole.

The dim light filtering through the grates casts strange shadows on the walls, and I can't help but feel a sense of apprehension creeping over me. I can't shake the feeling that I'm not alone. Miss Mount's voice plays in my mind over and over like a broken record: None of you will be leaving this building until we have a winner. I shake my head; we're going to get out of here, I think to myself.

Occasionally, I pause to listen for any sign of movement or distant sound, but all I hear is the steady hum of silence, broken only by the faint rustling of unseen creatures. Despite the darkness pressing in around me, my determination remains unyielding. With each twist and turn, I feel a sense of exhilaration building within me, filled with hope of an escape plan.

Finally, after what feels like an eternity, I emerge from the confines of the air vent, blinking in the sudden brightness of an open space. I stand cautiously in a decaying warehouse corridor, a triumphant smile playing on my lips. An escape route.

At the end of the corridor, I notice a white door on the left. This is definitely not creepy at all. I clench my fists tightly and walk towards the door with a quick pace. My hand touches the door handle, tingling with the hope that it will be unlocked. I apply pressure to the door, and I hear a click. Yes, progress.

As I cautiously push the door open, a rush of anticipation floods my senses. The hinges creaked softly as the door swings open, revealing a room bathed in the soft glow of computer monitors and the faint buzz of electronic devices. My eyes widen as I step further into the room.

Monitors lined the walls, displaying a myriad of camera feeds and intricate computer software interfaces. Wires snaked across the floor, connecting various devices in a complex web of technology. What the fuck is going on here?

I edge closer to the monitors, eager to see what the feed is showing. I notice a three small blobs on the screen. I make out one: Olivia. Her boots and dark winged eyeliner make her stand out. Then another: Finn. As much as I don't like admitting it, that guy is jacked. His grey t-shirt fits perfectly around his toned muscles. And finally: Selina. She looks flustered, like she's just seen a ghost or something. I mean, she has just seen two people die but that is not the point. As much as I hate to admit it, Selina has grown on me since this morning. I still think that she is a raging lunatic after what she did to Penny, however at least she's got her head screwed on. The trio are still stood at the entrance to the air vent, probably in discussion about our escape plan.

I divert my attention to the room I am in. Escape plan, escape plan, escape plan. All I can see is wires, monitors, headphones and microphones. None of this is any use to me.

Then, it clicks. Maybe this is where Miss Mount is controlling the whole operation. I mean, it would make total sense. The cameras, the microphones. And if that is the case, I need to get out of here pronto. If she's been watching us like a hawk from here, then she can't be too far away.

I scan the room once last time for anything of use. In the corner of the room stood a solitary chair, its sleek design stark against the backdrop of digital chaos. There's white fluffy coat hung haphazardly over the back of the chair. I take a step closer to inspect. Its surface is adorned with tufts of dog hair. Brown dog hair. Brown dog hair. I look down at my hoodie. My hoodie is covered in the same fur.

My face drops and my palms become sweaty. No, no, no, no. She can't be. Why would she do this? I think back to home; Narla, my dog springs to mind. She always covers my clothes in her hair. And in turn, she always covers my sister's clothes in her hair. But this is not like Delilah. Why would my own sister force a bunch of strangers to fight to the death in an abandoned warehouse? And where on earth is she going to get the prize money from?

"Hello, brother."

My heart sank as the words hit me like a tidal wave. I stand frozen, my mind reeling, trying desperately to process the weight of what I had just learned. The room around me blurs, the once-familiar surroundings now distorting through a lens of disbelief and despair. Every sound echoes hollowly in my ears, every breath felt strained as if the air itself had turned heavy. I struggle to find my footing. With a deep breath, I square my shoulders and tentatively turn around.

My sister, Delilah, stood with a demonic smile on her face. "You have finally found out my big secret."