Chapter 6 - Caleb

CALEB'S POV

The exhilarating anticipation of the competition finally beginning courses through my veins like a surge of electricity. Each step into the large room ignites a fire that transforms every heartbeat into a rhythmic drum of excitement. This is it. This is my chance to change my life.

"Will all contestants please choose a table," that voice from the speakers follows us into the new room, the red pill or blue pill room. The not so incognito reference to the 1999 film 'The Matrix' has me wondering; is this some sort of acting round? But as I approach the tables lined up in the middle of the room, my thought process begins to change.

I take my stance behind the most left table, facing the large screen that had announced the name of the first phase. Most of the other contestants stay silent, just like me, as we inspect the contents on the tables in front of us. Everett however is pacing around the room. Each step is heard loud and clear as his loafers make contact with the concrete floor. He speaks to himself in hushed tones, but the vastness of the room and silence from the other contestants make his words loud and clear. "This is ridiculous. I'm an actor for Christ's sake. I shouldn't be doing this. I need to tell my agent. I mean I can't really tell my agent. Oh Jesus, I need to get out of here." Everett unravels in front of us, each jittery sentence signifying his anxiety for the competition. I guess he's not the competitive type.

"For goodness sake Everett just pick a table," Selina huffs in frustration, saying aloud what we're all thinking. Everett sighs but complies none the less, standing behind the remaining table. Olivia stands next to mine, then Zack, followed by Selina and her lapdog Finn. At the end of the line-up is Everett.

Only now do I really inspect the table before me. Four plastic bowls, each filled with an inconspicuous white powder. They are in a uniform line besides two empty pill capsules that have been further dissected into two. Two segments of one capsule glow a bright red, the other two a deep blue. Red pill or blue pill, I think.

"Now that we are in our positions, I will lay out the contents of the first phase," Miss Mount explains. I anticipate the each and every word Miss Mount says, know that slowly but surely it will bring me one step closer to face the crucible of the competition. At this moment, this phase of the contest could be anything, but I know that my determination to give Delilah a better life will lead me through anything. "Each of you have four bowls placed before you." I eye up my equipment as the lady coming from the speakers continues. "You will also see two pill capsules. A red one and a blue one. These capsules have been accurately sliced down the middle to create two empty sections that will be the coat for your little product."

The air crackles with a palpable sense of excitement, and every heartbeat becomes louder and louder as Miss Mount continues. Nerves flutter within me, but they are the butterflies of anticipation, not apprehension. I know I can do this. "Two of the powders in front of you are," she pauses for a second, "let's say two powders are bad" she continues, "the others good. Your first task is to mix two powders together to fill the capsules. You may only use the powders once for each pill. So, let's say you use powder A in your red pill, you may not use powder A in your blue pill." The competitive spirit that had previously transformed into a beacon, now dulls and I can feel myself panicking. This is ridiculous. Mixing some random powders to form a pill. How does this win me all that money?

"Is that it?" Olivia chimes, pulling up her short black skirt, getting ready to start. I look over at everyone else. Zack is readjusting his glasses, again. Finn is listening intently to the instructions. Everett is aggressively rubbing his hands together, probably having some sort of panic attack.

Selina though, she's immersed in the contents of the table, eyeing up each bowl with a raised eyebrow, inspecting the powder like a detective.

"Olivia, you're very eager to start, aren't you?" Miss Mount giggles. I can see Olivia's cheeks flush bright red as the speakers call her out. "That's not all Olivia. Once you have created your pills, you must make the choice."