The proposal

Life happened, that I knew and mine seemed to have taken a new turn in everything. As soon as I spoke to my mother I returned to my quarters, angry about everything.

My phone was taken from me, and my driver had been instructed not to let me out, all under Brian's orders. The Blacks had control over my life and there was nothing I could do about it.

I felt lightheaded as I returned to my room, I was exhausted because of the events that had taken place in the last twenty-four hours. It was currently evening and I was preparing myself for dinner.

A fashion Maven was brought in, he came in with all his glory. With outstanding and fashionable outfits that cost a fortune. I knew my mother must have already picked out the outfit I was going to wear and everything that came with it, and I was right.

I was forced to stand as a mannequin as they dressed me up in a dress adorned by crystals which must have cost a fortune. As soon as they were done, my hair was styled and my makeup applied.

Looking at myself in the mirror I couldn't even recognize myself, or the figure which looked back at me in the mirror.

"Oh Fabien, you have outdone yourself with my daughter, she looks like a goddess," my mother said as she walked towards me, she had a huge smile on her face as she addressed the stylist.

"Oh, you have got me blushing. I of course am at your service," Fabien said. A few words were exchanged before he and his staff left, and I was there standing silent.

I could feel my mother's presence behind me but I didn't acknowledge her.

"You, my girl, will make me proud today," she said more as a command than a request.

"Not everything is about you, Mother," I replied her.

"Hush, do what needs to be done. It's your engagement dinner and you should behave yourself by all means," she said, I turned to her angrily.

"I am my person, and you and your husband are selling me off to the highest bidder, and this isn't about me, but about you boosting to your rich friends," I said angrily.

"Oh please, you have me to thank for. I made you. Secured you a great future with a man as powerful as my husband, the least you could do is to be thankful," she spat out and I scoffed.

Before I could say another word, the was a knock on the door. And my mother called for the person to come in. The butler of the villa came in, I hardly see him around but today he appeared to be dressed in his finest suit.

"The guests have arrived, and Mr. Brian has asked for your presence," he said and my mother waved dismissed him and he left.

"This isn't about me anymore, Lucas isn't someone you would want to joke with, he runs the underworld while the Black runs the upper-world activities, you are just a pact of this," she spat.

"He is a criminal in charge of more criminals, don't you dare tell me what to do, you are selling me out to him," I responded in anger.

"See it as you must. Just follow what needs to be done, the media, and paparazzi, will be present at this event and I kindly request that you professionally conduct yourselves. Let's avoid any behavior that could bring negative attention to this family" she said.

"You must feel good being dressed in diamonds, but that wouldn't change who you are. A bad mother," I spat and she scoffed. She was after all dressed in a black elegant dress paired with a diamond on her neck.

"Let's get going, we wouldn't want to be late," she said, she clapped her hands and the maids. outside opened the door.

"Today, you would be treated like a princess by your bad mother," she said with a smirk.

We walked out of my room, and I had never seen the mansion so busy, maids and other workers walked through as they ran errands.

As soon as we were in the living room, I was astonished by the crowd I found, this wasn't any kind of dinner. It was elegant and more like a party filled with strange faces. As soon as everyone eyes fell on me, I could feel Camera flashing, and all eyes were on me.

I couldn't find my mother when I looked behind me, but I found Lucas standing in front of me and smiling so wide. How he had gotten here, I don't know.

"You look so beautiful," he said to me. I ignored him as I tried to walk past him, but he held me, and I let, him because of the eyes on us.

"This must please you right," I said.

"Darling, it is our engagement. I am supposed to be pleased, so are you," he responded and I did all I could to keep a straight face before I could respond to him and give him a piece of my mind. I heard a voice right in front of us.

"I just wanted to be the first to congratulate my favorite couple on their engagement," A voice said, which turned out to be Britney, I turned to look at her. She was dressed in a sexy gown that exposed her huge blossom, and wrapped around her flat stomach.

I knew her congratulations message was more of a mockery, and I could see from the smirk on her face that I was right.

"That is appreciated, miss..." Lucas said as he tried to get her name.

"Oh my name is Britney," she chipped and I swear I felt my ears hurt at that moment.

"Thank you, you look quite familiar?" Lucas asked. As soon as I saw that they were exchanging a conversation, I excused myself, as I walked by the room, several strange faces stopped to congratulate me. I smiled at each person and said thank you and before they could engage me in a conversation I excused myself.

I walked to a waiter, picked a sparkling wine, and gulped it in as I looked around the room. Just as I was about to sneak away, I heard Lucas's voice.

"Excuse me, everyone!," he called out as the room became quiet, I watched as he began walking towards me.

As I watched him walk towards me, his voice had commanded the attention of everyone. He looked so different, his usual array of tattoos hidden beneath a high-necked suit, giving him an air of formality that I wasn't accustomed to seeing as he always has a rough look.

"But I would love to do this officially," he said as he stood at the center of the room. my heart seemed to be pounding in my chest as he raised his glass in my direction.

"Today, as you all know, is my engagement party to Ariana Don," he announced, and all eyes turned to me. I felt a rush of dizziness as the attention of the room focused on me, i wasn't used to having this much attention on me.

He began walking towards me again, cutting the space between us, I tried to move back but I couldn't as I turned and saw people behind me.

My breath caught in my throat as he knelt before me, producing a stunning diamond ring.

"Ariana, I know we haven't known ourselves long enough but I am sure it's you I want," he said, his voice filled with emotion, "will you marry me?"

My mind raced as I watched, aware of the cameras capturing the moment and the eyes of the guests fixed on us. But amidst all that was happening, my gaze found Damien, his presence sending a shiver down my spine. He stood there, elegant and composed, sipping his wine as he watched me intently. Beside him, Britney smirked, her eyes gleaming with mischief. She was probably happy she had gotten rid of her competition.

As Lucas waited for my response, the weight of his question hung in the air. "Say yes," some voices in the crowd urged, while others held their breath in anticipation.

I didn't know what to do, I felt like running but that would cause a rise in conspiracy, which I didn't want at the moment.

I felt weak, my knees threatening to give out beneath me. And then, before I could process anything further, darkness enveloped me as I collapsed. But just as I began to fall, Lucas caught me, his arms wrapping around me protectively as my eyes closed in a deep slumber.