Chapter 16

"No, I will have dinner on my own. Bring it to my room, would you?" I said. I couldn't bear seeing Damien's face tonight.

"I'm sorry, but she informed me that dinner should be taken with the family," the maid said, and I rolled my eyes.

Soon as she came, she left, and I was left alone in my room, contemplating if I should skip dinner or not.

Soon the time came for dinner, and skipping wasn't a choice because I was very hungry. And God may have it, Damien may not be back from the office just yet.

I left my room and found myself in the dining room. My mother and Brian sat chatting, and they seemed so in love. I held myself from rolling my eyes.

As I settled into my seat.

"Good evening, mother and father," I greeted, and that was when they noticed me.

"Oh, my dear, it's so good to see you. How was your first day of work?" My mother asked, and I froze. It was becoming weird for my mother to appear concerned about my activities.

"You don't need to worry, mother. You have other things that can take your attention," I replied. I could see her glare at me at the corner of her eyes.

I looked at Brian and saw he was busy on his phone. Soon the dishes were brought out, and I sighed in relief that Damien wasn't back yet.

Just when I was about to dive into my food, I saw Damien come in with Britney, and I froze.

Soon they settled opposite me, and I looked at my food to avoid having to see his face.

Something tells me this is going to be a long dinner.