Chapter 84-There's A Difference

Beginne am Anfang

Athena gave a thoughtful expression, "People try to do that to me. Your staff members will ask if they can take a vacation," she said, "I assume they think you'll say no, so they come to me. It happened last week, but I said 'I'm not the one that signs your paycheck' and told them to ask you."

Michael nodded understandingly, his eyes reflecting admiration for Athena's handling of the situation, "I appreciate you respecting the chain of command," he said, pulling her into a warm embrace, "But if I'm at the top of this chain, then as my wife, so are you. Meaning your word is just as important in making decisions that impact my work and our team. Don't ever doubt your authority in those situations, okay?"

"I don't know, I just thought it was best to have them ask you because you sign their checks," Athena shrugged.

Michael smiled softly, cupping her face in his hands as he gazed into her eyes, "Athena, you need to understand that your role in my life is irreplaceable. You are not just my wife; you are my partner in every sense of the word. Your opinion, your decisions, they hold weight in everything we do together. And it's not about signing checks or titles; it's about mutual respect and trust. So promise me you won't hesitate to make those tough calls when needed, knowing that I stand beside you every step of the way."

Athena leaned into his touch, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips before whispering, "Promise."

With a heartfelt smile, Michael pulled her close into a loving embrace, "And I understand why you went to Prince to rant, but next time come directly to me. We need to work on coming right to each other first, okay?" he said gently, "We're supposed to be each other's best friend and venting person—we're supposed to vent to each other, no matter how silly it seems at times."

"Well, some things are too girly to vent to you about," Athena said with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

Michael shifted to be on his side so he could face her, "Really?" he asked in amusement, "Try me."

"You do not want to talk about my period," Athena scoffed.

"There is nothing you can't tell me," Michael insisted, "Try me."

"Fine," Athena said, taking a deep breath before launching into an explanation of her period-related woes, complete with all the gory details.

Michael listened intently, occasionally interjecting with supportive words or asking questions to show that he was genuinely interested in her experience.

"Not to mention that my period likes to be the bane of my existence!" Athena huffed, "And supposedly, according to Claire, some women get really horny on their period."

"Okay, three things," Michael said, holding her tighter, "One, I appreciate that you let me participate in this 'girl talk' that you thought was too much for me to handle. Two, don't look at your period as the 'bane of your existence', try to look at it in a more positive light. And three, why would Claire tell you that? What were you girls talking about that lead to that?"

Athena blushed furiously, burying her face in her hands, "Oh my God, I can't believe I said that out loud," she mumbled, feeling embarrassed by the confession.

Michael chuckled softly, pulling her hands away from her face, "Don't be embarrassed, baby. We're married, we can talk about anything," he reassured her, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Ugh. She mentioned a study she read and we both had a good laugh over it," Athena said, her embarrassment fading as she giggled at the memory, "But I don't think it applies to me."

"Well, if you ever feel more... um, 'amorous' during that time of the month, I'm more than willing to accommodate," he finished with a playful smirk, "Just tell me and I'll make you happy."

Athena rolled her eyes and playfully punched his arm, "You're such a lush, Michael! I can't believe you can say that with a straight face!"

"Hey, I'm just saying—it's your body, and if you feel like it, I'll be happy to make you happy," he retorted, feigning innocence.

"Oh my goodness, I can't believe I just had that conversation with you," Athena said, shaking her head, "Maybe I should stick to talking to Lizzo and Prince about this."

"You talk to Prince about your period?" Michael asked with a raised eyebrow.

Athena chuckled, "He has an opinion on everything, might as well get his two cents on my menstrual cycle too."

Michael burst into laughter, "I have to hear what Prince had to say about it!" he exclaimed, wiping a tear from his eye.

"Well, he said, being the funny dude he thinks he is, 'Well, if you're feeling frisky, might as well take advantage of the moment, right? And if he can't handle it, then he ain't worth it!'" Athena recounted, mimicking Prince's soulful voice.

Michael couldn't help but laugh harder, "Oh, Prince. He's always keeping it real," he gasped for air, eventually composing himself.

"Do you want to know what Prince had to say about my vacation request scenario?"

"Please," Michael said, still chuckling, "I'm all ears."

"Apparently," Athena began, "If someone asks to take a vacation, you just pretend you didn't hear them and walk away!"

"Well, you can always count on Prince for the most unconventional advice," Michael chuckled.