Have I Slipped Into A Coma Or Did You Just Give Me Oral?

Comenzar desde el principio

It may not be possible, but I swear the joke makes me fall in love with him even more. I jump into the canoe, sending it rocking violently from side-to-side. 

"Whoa, easy there," he comments, thrusting out his arms to steady himself. "I didn't pack my swim trunks."

I dip my fingers into the water as Jackson glides the vessel with ease across the lake. The boom of the fireworks adds to the chorus of crickets. "I love summer," I breathe dreamily. "It smells of fresh cut grass and rain and there's just this hum of excitement in the air."

"I believe that's called an impending thunderstorm," he kids with a broad grin. He's simply adorable when he's happy and I ache to plant a peck on the tip of his nose.

Is that even allowed? 

I'm not certain what the rules are surrounding our relationship. We had sex but somehow kissing him out on the water where no one else is around, seems more intimate.

He slows his paddling when the canoe reaches the middle of the lake, and he pulls in the oars from the water, resting them across his lap. I gaze up at the sky, mesmerized by the slow fade of red and green that sprinkles a shimmering dusting amongst the constellations.

Leaning on the wooden handles of the oars, Jackson stares at me. I can feel his eyes watching me and I tear my sights away from the fireworks to look at him. His face illuminates with a silvery glow and his expression turns somber.

"What?" I ask, my features scrunching into perplexity. 

He sighs before running his palm over his hair. "Kelsi called me this morning. She wants to go out to lunch."

"The three of us...?" I ask in confusion.

He drops his gaze down onto his lap and slowly shakes his head. "No. Just me. On a date."

"Oh." My heart plummets into my stomach. "I thought that she...I thought that you..."

"I know." He shrugs, his expression one of pain. "I thought so too. But I guess she's still interested so..."

I nod, gripping my knees. "So therefore, you're still interested," I finish for him.

He swipes his jaw. "Sterling, I'm really sorry. I didn't know how to tell you."

I laugh bitterly. "You owe me nothing, Jackson. The only thing you agreed to is hanging out with me." I gesture at him sitting across from me. "Which clearly you are."

"Listen, if it makes you feel any better, I'm actually enjoying your company. I was going out of my mind with boredom from all that violin."

I chuckle even harder even though now, it's from anger. "Wow!" I exclaim incredulously. "I'm so flattered. Given the opportunity between isolation and spending time in my presence, you choose me but only because it's better than doing nothing."

He holds up his palm. "Sterling, that's not what I'm saying."

I leap up, causing the canoe to rock some more and Jackson glances around at the rippling water nervously. "What are you doing?"

I kick off my boots. "Leaving you behind!" I shout over the boom of another explosion. "You can go finger your violin strings instead."

"Don't be rash," he insists. "We're in the middle of the lake. It's a far swim back to shore." He gestures at the dock in the distance.

I scoff. "That doesn't frighten me. Unlike you," I spit out, "I don't spook easily."

"I'll take you back," he says, dipping the oars into the water.