Chapter 31 : These hands that devoured me

We went back home when the moon rose and I started shivering.

Link and I talked a lot about everything and anything, and I was sure it did us good. He had so many things in mind, so many things he kept for him during the past ten days, and mostly since our bad argument. The announcement of my disease was the mortal blow, and being the spectator of my imminent death was really hard for him to handle. He always hated to see the ones he loved in pain, and if someone had a problem with something or someone, then he would try his best to solve it, even if he was involved in something serious.

And his sacrifice against Ganondorf or when he had to fight against Toruma or Zirco were great examples.

He was a man of acts, but acts were pointless when he was far from me, or when the thing that could possibly hurt me - or more - was myself. So, we let each other talk about our thoughts and feelings.

He was surprised by my point of view, but for the best, as he kept telling me that I was courageous and he should take me for example. I wouldn't let my sadness and anger against that disease take the upper hand, and, if my days were numbered - without knowing if my end would be soon or late - I would always see the positive side of everything.

I was no fool, and I knew the acceptance of my condition would be marked by ups and downs, such as his - because, even if I was ill, he was also involved in my story. But he promised that he would do everything to support me the best he could.

So, here, sitting next to the pond where Mother used to sew and embroider, talking about the illness we had in common, I couldn't help but feel close to her, more than ever.

Which scared me.

She suffered a lot, as her own blood damaged all of her organs. Her brain, heart, lungs, liver, spleen, limbs. At thirty three years old.

I don't want it.

I felt like I had an hourglass above my head. A little hourglass, counting time, counting the fifteen years that were left.

I tried not to think about it. Yes, we had the same disease, and I would possibly have the same complication, but I shouldn't forget that I had now a treatment, and, unlike her, my disease had been diagnosed at an early stage.

And the doctor said that I will have a normal life.

The moon rose behind the statue, bathing the gardens with its silver light and reflecting on the water of the pond. A billion diamonds were now shining in front of us while the statue was now wearing a silver crown around its head, but the most beautiful thing in this sight was the man next to me.

He held me in his arms, not even talking. We were just sharing a moment of contemplation together, a timeless moment just the two of us, enjoying each other's presence. We didn't need any words, as our beating hearts and souls were speaking for us.

An unbreakable bond between us, something no one else could feel.

He gave me his hoodie, as soon as he caught me shivering, and offered me his hand on our way home. The pond was in the gardens, but the path to go to the Mansion was still a bit long, and he was scared that I could be cold. Of course I refused, at first, because I didn't want it to feel cold either, but I saw how much he wanted it, how much he wanted to help me feel better, how much he wanted to not only be a spectator.

So, I accepted. And, yes, it was better for me, but I wanted him to hold me in his arms, hoping my body heat could warm him up a bit. I thought it worked a bit, as he didn't shiver a single second until we came inside the living room.