Chapter 16 : The Hylian Champion, The Cursed Champion

Link's POV.

I didn't leave Morpheus' arms until my alarm rang at 5 AM.

I tried my best to get up as quietly as possible, letting the love of my life sleeping a bit more. Her weekend had been pretty tiring – but for the best, of course – and, for the first time since weeks, she hadn't had a nightmare. Usually, her demons woke up around 3AM, showing her various kind of horrific memories, sometimes the exact thing that happened to her – or me – and sometimes a mix of too many terrible times she lived. And seeing her trying to fight them in her sleep broke my heart each time, as I felt useless, here but also far from her own world. Far from her underworld.

But I'd always been there as soon as she found a little exit, an escape route from her mind to finally open her eyes and see the real world. I'd always been there to wipe her tears, to calm her down and to reassure her. And I will always be here for her.

I will fight for her no matter what. I will do everything I could to protect her, to make sure no one and nothing would ever hurt her again. She suffered way too much, more than the immense majority of the world for her young age. And despite everything she lived, she was still standing, she was still smiling, she was still laughing, no matter how hard it was for her sometimes.

But she didn't wake up, neither when I left the bedroom, neither when I came back one hour later after my training.

Her perfect body was still under the sheets, the regular moves while she was breathing could be seen. I slowly approached her and saw she was cuddling her Terrako, her face burried in its soft shell.

I'll let you sleep, my Princess. I swear I won't be long in your bathroom, and you'll see me as soon as you'll wake up.

The cold shower killed the lack of tiredness that was still in my veins, but I knew that was for my good. I knew it would help me to get stronger, to reinforce my muscles, to make sure I will be the Hylian Champion once again. Even though I had doubts about it.

But she considers me as her Hylian Champion. Maybe that's the only thing that matters ?

Who was I trying to fool. Of course her opinion on me – even though it was super important to me – wasn't the only thing that mattered. Why ? Because fencing was my job. Because I'd never done anything else in my whole damn life than fencing and traveling the world to contest over and over. Because I was freaking bad at school. Because being an athlete was my whole life, and except practicing sports, I couldn't do anything.

« Fuck that shit. », I mumbled.

I'll see tonight if I can still fence. I'll see if I'll be able to own that honorific title anymore.

I shook my head and got ready to join my sleeping princess under the sheets, knowing her presence would appease me and would cut my running thoughts. But little didn't I know was that she was already awake, yawning and stretching her arms, her sleepy eyes looking at me before she fell on her back again.

Cute.

« Hey sleepyhead. », I whispered before I softly kissed her cheeks, giving her goosebumps.

I'll never get rid of her.

« Hey... », she said, yawing again and burrying her face in my chest.

« You really love being here ? », I chuckled.

« Is it that obvious ? », she mumbled before she laughed too.

« More or less. », I laughed, kissing the top of her head. « Did you sleep well, Princess ? »

« Very well, thank you. », she answered, her voice was barely audible as her mouth was against my t-shirt. « What about your training ? »