Chapter 35: Catching up

Start from the beginning

"We're engaged." I answer and her eyes grow bigger. Steve also seems very surprised and can't seem to find words to react to that.

"Wow." Mom says and looks between Wanda and me. I nod and glance up at Wanda, giving her a little smile.
Despite the current situation and the stone inside my chest, the thought of being engaged to Wanda still makes me very happy.

"Since when are you two engaged?" She asks and I look back to her.

There's a swirl of emotions in her eyes and it almost looks as if she is a little sad that she is only hearing about this now. But what did she expect?
We didn't talk for over half a year and didn't end on good terms.

"Not long. Two days, I think." Wanda answers for us, resting her head against mine.

Mom nods and gives us a little smile. It's a genuine one, even though I can tell that she wished she would have heard from it earlier and from me personally. But despite knowing that she switched sides after all, I didn't feel like contacting her because she still messed up big time.

For a few seconds, we're all silent and I kind of hope that I am finally able to rest but then Steve speaks up again. I swear, sometimes I think he forgets that not everyone is a super soldier and that normal people need to rest more than he does.

"Why did those aliens attack you?" He asks, his eyes darting between me and Wanda. I'm not sure if I want to tell him but if those things really want this stone so badly, it's probably better he knows too. Besides, Mom already knows as well and would eventually tell him.

"Because we have an infinity stone." I state and he leans forward, more than surprised by that answer.

"You- what?" He asks and if I wasn't so exhausted, I'd probably laugh at that reaction.

"It's currently melted into y/n's chest." Wanda explains further, which only seems to confuse Steve even more. He looks at my Mom for help.

"Due to the action of one of the aliens, the stone got stabbed into y/n's chest and can't be pulled out without causing her a lot of pain." She explains what she knows and Steve leans back, looking thoughtfully but still curious.

"Okay, we have to find a solution for that because it can't be healthy. But how did you even get into its possession in the first place?" He asks and I sigh a little. Can't he just drop it and let us go to sleep?

"We found it when Hydra took me." Wanda explains plainly, as if she just told them that we found it during a walk in the park.

"Hydra?" Mom questions and leans forward. I yawn and cuddle a little closer to Wanda.

"Turned out that y/n's father wasn't really related and just wanted to get close, so they could kidnap me. They wanted to do some experiments with the stone..." Wanda gestures around my upper body. "...on me. So, they tracked us down and kidnapped me. But luckily, Y/n managed to get into the base, stole the stone and freed me." Wanda tells them before moving her fingers and the seats underneath us morph into a comfortable sofa. It allows me to get more comfortable and Wanda holds me a little tighter in a protective way that makes me feel safe.

"That...you got out all on your own?" Mom asks, still seeming to process everything. I have to admit, a lot of things happened during the past couple of days. I just hum in response, feeling my eyelids getting heavy.

"And the guy that called wasn't really her father?" She asks, directed as Wanda because I probably look too tired to reply much.

"Yeah. He was the leader of all that. It was scary but we managed and with that stone, we had some extra powers in store." Wanda replies before kissing the top of my head.
It's impressive how quickly she can change between being all sweet and soft to me and talking all business with Mom and Steve.

"It's a little miracle that you two are still alive." Steve mutters to himself and I smile tiredly. It kind of is but it's good.

Mom starts to dab her chin in thought and leans back. Both seem to have enough to think about at the moment, so I allow myself to close my eyes and let the exhaustion take over my body. Wanda is still holding me close and with Steve, Sam and Mom around, I am very positive, that nothing can happen to me.

Just with Wanda alone I would feel this way because I know that she would always protect me at all costs, no matter if I have this stone's powers or not. I feel myself slipping more and more into a sleeping state and the last thing I hear and feel, are Wanda's lips softly kissing my temple and whispering: "Have a good rest and don't worry, I'll keep you safe, I have you."

Those seem to be the most calming words to me right now and with a small smile on my lips, I fall fully asleep. 

A/n: At least they are safe for now.

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3