Eleven

Over the course of the past week, since I said I don't hate Malfoy in front of Theo, I've been trying to apologize but he isn't having it. Theo's been ignoring me, hanging around Blaise and Pansy more. I don't blame him, I probably would've done the same if I were him.

I sit in the library, trying to study for the quiz Professor McGonagall has planned for us tomorrow. With everything else going on right now the last thing I need is a test, but McGonagall doesn't care about that. 

I've been slacking in my studies lately, just getting by but not really caring about what marks I receive. As I read through the pages of my book, I feel the weight of someone standing behind me, mint flavored breath fanning over my neck.

A chill runs down my spine as his breath trickles over me, "Studying?" Malfoy's voice is low and smoky. His hands clamp down on the back of my chair, his body leaning over mine.

"Is that surprising?" I retort, not bothering to turn and face him. If I do, we'll be too close for comfort.

Malfoy chuckles, the low vibrations giving me goosebumps. "Yes." The word rolls off his tongue and he releases his grip on the chair, walking around the table to sit across from me. "We need to discuss some things."

"Like?" I question, closing my spellbook.

"Don't play dumb, I've told you before it's not very attractive on you." My cheeks flush at his words and I lean back in my seat, pulling my hands into my lap. "You want the box, I want to be the one to complete the task."

"Right now, I'd say you're at my mercy. However, I'm willing to make you another deal. If you agree to allow me to be the one to do it, I will keep you in the loop and allow you to assist me." After Malfoy's little speech, I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Okay, are you done?" I ask rhetorically and he flashes me a sneer, "You see, I don't want to assist you. I have a job to do and if you get in my way I will destroy you Draco Malfoy." I rise from my seat as I speak, shoving my book into my bag before stomping off.

Who does he think he is? He thinks I'm just some pushover who will allow him to use me. Perhaps, I should play into his games and let him think he has the control. I spin on my heels, about to go straight back to the library but the devil himself stands before me.

I nearly run straight into Draco, his nostrils flared and chest puffing. "You don't get to walk off on me anymore. Not happening." His words catch me off guard, my brows furrowed and my cheeks hot. 

"I'm sorry." I utter, hoping I can put my new plan into action.

"You're sorry?" Malfoy questions, his demeanor changing from fury to confusion. I nod in confirmation, forcing my face to match my words and not my true thoughts and feelings.

"You were right, I'll help you." My words make his eyes grow dark as his brow bone casts a shadow over them. He's doubting me. "I just don't want to disappoint my father and if we make some progress he won't have anything to use against me." 

He nods at my words, I know he of all people can understand that feeling. Malfoy's eyes graze over my left arm — where my dark mark hides behind layers of clothes and a bandage I've wrapped around it.

"Why would my father give you the same task?" I question Malfoy, I haven't asked him about this since he's told me, but I think I deserve to know. "Does he have something on your family?" 

"You could say that." Malfoy scoffs out but he places a hand on my lower back and leads me up the Grand Staircase. He leads me to Moaning Myrtles bathroom, one where no one usually goes so they don't have to be bothered by the ghost girl.