Thirteen

I slowly step down the wide staircase, allowing my jumper sleeves to fall past my hands. I follow the sounds of classical music into the manor's den where Draco and his mum sit with a few gifts around them.

The room is decked out in very subtle silver Christmas decor. The fire crackles as classical music plays, making the cold dark manor feel warm for once.

As soon as Draco's eyes meet mine, he stands up from his seat on the sofa and ushers over to me. "Happy Christmas, Aura." He whispers softly to me as I wrap my arm around his and he leads me over to the sofa.

I sit down beside Mrs. Malfoy and Draco sits on the other side of me, placing a gift in my lap. "Draco, you really didn't have to get me anything." I tell him as he shakes his head.

"Nonsense, open it." He presses as his mother passes a gift to him and he to her. The three of us open our gifts at the same time, but when I strip away the wrapping paper and open the parcel, I see my cursed jewelry box staring back at me.

My breath hitches in the back of my throat and I can't tear my eyes away, like an awful sight. "Do you like it?" Draco leans over and whispers in my ear. Mrs. Malfoy looks at me and tilts her head inquisitively.

"Everything alright, dear?" She asks me and I nod quickly, forcing a smile as I look up at her. She hands me another parcel and I set the first one aside before tearing away the wrapping paper.

I open the small box to reveal a gorgeous locket with a snake in the shape of an 'S' imprinted on it. "Your father wanted me to give that to you." She tells me softly and I pull it from the box, Draco quickly taking it from me.

He unclips the chain and I turn slightly as he wraps it around my neck, clipping it back together as it falls against my chest. "Thank you both, I appreciate having people to celebrate the holidays with." I tell them honestly; I've really been missing Aria during this time.

We finish up with gifts and I help Mrs. Malfoy get rid of all the wrappings while Draco puts our new gifts away upstairs. "Aurora." She catches my attention as we throw out the last of the used wrapping paper.

I look up at her, to see her smiling softly at me. "I just wanted to say how happy I am that you and Draco are together now." She begins and I nearly choke on just the saliva built up in my throat.

"He told you?" I ask her, not wanting to give away that this really isn't a true relationship — that he's forced me into this using potions and blackmail against me.

She grins, leading me to sit back down on the sofa with her. "Of course, Draco told me." Mrs. Malfoy says as we both sit down. "He's had a soft spot for you since you were children." She goes on, using her ring finger to fix her fringe.

I feel my cheeks heat up at her words, it's different hearing his mum speak of his feelings. It feels real. "And you're okay with it? Even though my father-"

"Aurora, you are capable of great things because of your father. I believe you are what is good for Draco, he needs you." She swiftly cuts me off and I nod along as she speaks.

"Now, do you have a dress for the ball this evening?" She asks me and I shake my head, making her grin from ear to ear. "Wonderful, that means you get to go shopping." Mrs. Malfoy beams, clearly enthused at the prospect.

"Are you almost ready?" Draco calls through the door of the walk-in closet and I sigh in frustration. He's asked me probably a hundred times in the last two minutes.

I finish applying my lipstick, smacking my lips together as I look in the mirror. "Fine, I'll meet you downstairs then." He grumbles after I don't respond, and I can hear his footsteps trailing away.