Seven

As I pack up my bag after Potions has ended — and everyone else rushes out ahead of me — Professor Snape glides over. "Miss Birch." He drawls to gain my attention and I quickly halt my movements, looking up at him instead.

"You've been summoned to see the Headmaster." He explains in his slow, monotone voice. As I open my mouth to ask why, he draws a breath and interrupts me. "In his office." He adds and my heart drops as the thought sinks in.

Does he know? Is he going to kick me out of Hogwarts? My breathing quickens as Professor Snape whisks away. I try to focus on shoving the last of my contents back in my bag and hoisting it onto my shoulder as I'm on the brink of an anxiety attack.

"Now, Birch." Professor Snape snaps, his back turned to me as he clears his chalkboard with a quick wave of his wand. I rush out of the Potions classroom and double over in the hall as panic consumes me.

As the blood pounds in my ears and my vision gets slightly spotty — with my shaky hands planted on my knees — I shut my eyes and take a deep breath. How can I be so afraid of facing Dumbledore, but have no fear when learning my father is Lord Voldemort?

With that thought a wave of calm confidence washes over me and I'm able to stand up straight — without feeling like I'm going to pass out. I am the daughter of Lord Voldemort. Dumbledore should fear me, not the other way around.

I swallow the hard lump that had formed in my throat, push my hair behind my ears and strut down the dungeon halls. I hurry up the spiral stairs to the Main Hall to find it completely void of students as lunch has now begun.

Hurrying up the grand staircase — all the way to the top — and through the trophy room, I come up to the griffin protecting the Headmaster's door. I know I need a password but Professor Snape didn't give me one before sending me off.

Racking my brain for any ideas I give up and decide to say the silliest thing that comes to mind. "Fizzing Whizzbees." I spew with a giggle but to my surprise the griffin begins to move, revealing a staircase.

I quickly hop onto one of the steps and it carries me up to the top landing where it stops. I try to open the door in front of me to find it locked, I let out a huff and knock on the door.

The door flies open in an instant and I step in hesitantly. "Ah, Miss Birch, I've been waiting for you." Professor Dumbledore calls out cheerily from his large chair — sat at his desk. A large basin rests on his desk, a shimmering liquid inside of it.

"What's that?" I ask wearily and he lets out a soft chuckle, motioning for me to sit in one of the chairs in front of his desk. I take a seat and he holds up a small vile of a clear liquid.

"This is a pensieve and I have something I would like to show you." He explains vaguely but I nod eagerly nonetheless. He opens the vile with a pop, pouring the liquid into the already full basin.

"Dip your head in." He commands and I narrow my eyes in confusion, my face twisted up — like I just bit into a lemon wedge. Professor Dumbledore chuckles heartily but just nods to the basin before us.

Against my better judgment, I lean forward and dunk my face into the mercury-like substance. Suddenly I am pulled down, deep into the depths of the basin — that was only a few inches deep just seconds ago.

I land in the middle of a large and dark manor — similar in architecture to the Malfoy's but definitely not the same.

"Eleanor?" An unfamiliar man's voice calls out from behind me and I spin around, Dumbledore now next to me, and a man — scars on his face — rushing up to a woman much younger than him. "What is it?" He asks in a worried tone as she falls into his arms, weeping.