Three

Over the course of our first week back at Hogwarts, I've decided to focus on my studies. I know I need to come up with a plan soon, but getting back into my normal routine is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment.

I enter the Potions classroom — just down the hall from our common room — coming in a tad late since I decided to take a nap during lunch and didn't wake up in time. I hurry in just as Professor Slughorn is speaking to the class.

I flash him a sheepish smile, almost a frown, as my teeth clench in anticipation — expecting a detention for showing up late. "Oh, Miss Birch, please have a seat beside Mr. Malfoy, there." He says cheerily, motioning over to the only open spot next to any Slytherins.

My eyes scan the room, locking with Malfoy's narrowed ones. I roll mine as soon as I catch sight of him, strolling over to the table he's sharing with Pansy and Theo. "What did I do wrong to be paired with you?" Malfoy remarks with a spiteful tone.

"Honestly, I think I'm the one being punished for showing up late." I answer sarcastically, wanting to blame him for our pairing — but knowing full well this wouldn't have happened if I had shown up on time.

We stop to listen to Professor Slughorn as he motions for all of us to gather around his bench. We all rise from our stools, crowding around in a semi circle as he continues his lecture. "Attention to detail is the prerequisite of all planning." He drones on, a lot of us hardly listening.

He is soon interrupted by Potter and Weasley bursting into class even later than I was. He greets Potter happily, instructing them to get books from the storage cupboard — since they don't have their own — so he can get on with class.

Pansy and I roll our eyes at them just as Professor Slughorn goes on. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Of course, Mudblood Granger raises her hand first, waving it around impatiently.

"Yes, Miss-"

"Granger, sir." She cuts him off, knowing he has no idea who she is yet. "That one there is Veritaserum — it's a truth telling serum — and that would be Polyjuice Potion." She explains as Pansy and I pretend to yawn, giggling amongst each other.

"It's terribly tricky to make." She adds snarkily, throwing a glare our way and I roll my eyes, noticeably for her.

"And this is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." I say as I step forward — cutting Granger off — and Professor Slughorn raises his eyebrows at me in surprise.

All the girls perk up at the mention of Amortentia, even Pansy, but I don't find it to be very interesting. Unless Professor Slughorn is going to teach us how to brew a potion that will take care of Dumbledore, I don't care for it.

"For example, I smell green apples, fresh violets and mint, and men's cologne." I trail off at the end, trying to put together who smells like that. I step back into the crowd, standing beside Malfoy and Theo, the scent still overpowering my nose.

The other girls begin to step forward as Professor Slughorn begins to speak. "Now, Amortentia does not create real love, that would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession." He explains

"And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Professor Slughorn goes on as the girls are now standing in front of his bench. He places the lid on the pot, snapping the girls out of their trancelike state.

The girls all fall back in line, a sheepish grin and blush spreading on Pansy's face. Professor Slughorn goes on to explain he will be giving a vial of Liquid Luck to whomever can brew the perfect batch of Draught of Death.