Chapter 2: Messi's Peak

"Lin, Lin, are you listening to me?"

Deulofeu saw his friend zoning out, so he reached out and waved his hand in front of him, asking with a puzzled expression.

"Yeah, I'm listening!"

Lin Quan snapped out of it and replied.

Deulofeu looked skeptical, curious about what Lin Quan was thinking about since he didn't respond even after being called several times.

Seeing his friend's puzzled expression, Lin Quan knew his curiosity was piqued.

So he came up with an excuse and said:

"I was just thinking, how many goals do you think Messi will score this year?"

Messi was Deulofeu's idol, so when Lin Quan mentioned him, Deulofeu immediately became interested.

"I think he'll score around sixty or seventy goals?"

In the 2010-2011 season, Messi scored a total of 57 goals, including 53 for the club and 4 for the national team.

His performance this season is clearly better than last year, so there's a good chance his total goals will exceed last year's.

Hearing Deulofeu's answer, Lin Quan shook his head and said with a smile:

"Gerard, isn't Messi your idol? Why are you predicting so conservatively?"

"Conservative?"

Deulofeu looked confused. Sixty or seventy goals were considered conservative?

He was curious, how many goals did Lin Quan think would be considered not conservative?

"Then how many goals do you think Messi will score?"

"I think he'll get around eighty or even ninety goals!"

Lin Quan answered seriously.

"Don't joke with me. Do you know what the world record is?"

Hearing Lin Quan's words, Deulofeu's eyes widened in disbelief.

Currently, the world record is only 85 goals.

If Messi could score eighty or ninety goals, does that mean he has a chance to break the world record?

But breaking this world record wouldn't be easy.

Gerd Müller set the record in 1972, and for the past 40 years, no one has come close to it, let alone broken it.

Although Messi is great, Deulofeu couldn't imagine him breaking this record.

"I know, the current world record is 85 goals set by the German player Gerd Müller in 1972 while playing for Bayern Munich!"

"But Messi has already scored 46 goals in the first five months of this year, including this match. He's only less than 40 goals away from Müller's record."

"And it's only been five months this year. He still has plenty of time to score more goals. Based on his current form, I don't think this record is out of reach!"

Finally convinced by Lin Quan, Deulofeu started calculating the probability of Messi breaking the world record with his fingers and didn't bother Lin Quan anymore.

Taking his eyes off Deulofeu, Lin Quan looked back at the field.

After scoring the fourth goal, Messi and the other Barcelona players walked towards the coach's bench to find their coach, Guardiola.

"Thank you, Pep, these four goals are for you!"

Messi gave Guardiola a hug and whispered in his ear.

Guardiola patted Messi's back hard, his eyes slightly red and his nose tingling.