Chapter 8: Loan Arrangements

If the first goal was scored based on individual ability, then the second goal belongs to utilizing one's organizing ability to link up the team's frontcourt attack, ultimately completing the goal.

"This goal shouldn't have been lost!"

On the sidelines, while the coaching staff applauded the substitute team, they also expressed some dissatisfaction with the main team's conceding.

"The possession-based tactics are impressive, but the demands on the players are too high!"

"That's right. The first team has players like Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, and a bunch of other excellent midfielders. Even talented defensive midfielders like Mascherano couldn't find a spot and had to play as a defender."

"In contrast, apart from Lin Quan, the substitute team's midfielders are almost all lacking in strength. Without a strong midfield and without forwards like Messi who excel at individual play, it's quite normal that they can't play out the possession game like the main team."

The main team did create opportunities. In fact, during the time they pressured the substitute team, they managed three shots, two of which were within the frame of the goal.

Unfortunately, the substitute team's forwards had a significant gap in individual ability compared to Messi. Their shots either got blocked or saved by the goalkeeper.

As a result, the main team dominated possession but struggled to score goals.

This situation reminded the coaches of the Spanish national team.

The Spanish national team's players shine brightly, especially the midfield masters, who could form a team by themselves! Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Fabregas, Alonso, David Silva, Mata, Cazorla, Navas, and others are almost all midfield cores of their respective clubs.

With such a strong midfield lineup, Spain could easily control the midfield.

However, embarrassingly, Spain lacked a superstar forward, a finisher like Messi.

As a result, Spain's games often saw them dominating possession but struggling to score. Against strong opponents like Portugal, Paraguay, Germany, and the Netherlands in the knockout stages of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Spain only scored one goal in each game.

Although it seemed economical and practical, the lack of a sharp striker was evident.

Although each of these midfield masters had the ability to score goals, none of them had top-notch shooting skills compared to regular forwards.

Therefore, it was common to see them waste scoring opportunities in matches.

If Messi chose to join the Spanish national team, the team built around Barcelona would have been almost tailor-made for him.

Such a Spanish team would be terrifying on the world stage, beyond imagination!

Unfortunately, there's only one Messi, and he chose to join the Argentine national team.

"There's no good solution. Even with such a strong midfield in the national team, it's still difficult to score, isn't it? Our problem is similar to the national team's, but the players' abilities are much worse, so scoring goals naturally becomes even more difficult."

The coaches frowned, feeling somewhat worried about the problems that arose in the youth team: Once the midfield masters of the first team retire, with the current level of these midfielders in the team's youth ranks, it's probably going to be challenging for them to fill their shoes.

By then, can Barcelona continue to execute the possession-based tactics?

This crisis is actually more severe than the current problems of the youth team because the first team's performance is crucial to the survival of the entire club.