I remained silent and couldn't find anything to say. This info sounded very wrong and weird. My reaction seemed to amuse her and she brought up her hand to stifle her giggles.

"Is that jealousy I see in your eyes? Trust me, I wouldn't touch him if he was the last man on earth. I am so in love with Grey that I find it impossible to imagine being with anyone else. Alexis is carrying your mate's child, so direct your worries towards her."

"I'm not jealous," I lied, standing like a log. "I just wasn't expecting that. I assumed that your friendship was limited to being very close friends."

"Don't worry, darling. It's history now,”she laughed, and threw me a quick hug.

We stayed there, chatting away until someone ran downstairs to announce that a live broadcast from the front lines of battle was underway.

My breath became abrupt as I left at speed, jogging up the stairs to the main hall where the radio was playing and everyone gathered around it like a flock of geese.

At first, all we could hear was white noise, and one of the women mentioned that the signal was shaky, so we had to wait. I was so soaked in sweat that it was unbelievable. Zina rushed into the shelter. She reached for the radio and turned the volume up.

Then we heard the report. The presenter spoke loudly and quickly. “The war ended in victory until some warriors from enemy forces snuck into our base. One of our heroes is rumored to have either been killed or is critically injured and fighting for their life. We sincerely hope he survives, so please continue to watch and remember to stay safe until all is clear.”

Everyone went wild, talking at once. Some had started crying, speculating that the hero was one of the alphas in our tribe. Terror gripped everyone's faces.

My insides twisted like noodles, so violently that I feared I'd faint, but I forced myself not to react. Nobody except Zina and the omegas knew that D'angelo and I were mates.

My knees felt weak and I sat down abruptly on the floor before a wave of nausea hit me. A part of me hoped it wasn't him, but what if it turned out to be true?

What if D'Angelo was dead?

Shivers ran down my spine. Zina caught my eye and rushed over, pulling me up while my mom was behind her, staring at me helplessly.

“Kira, get a grip,” Zina whispered. “Remember we don't know who this hero is so you better not waste your tears worrying. D'angelo is alive and well,” she said encouragingly.

But I was too shaken. All I knew was the horrible feeling of my heart breaking into a million pieces.

I took a step back shivering when Alexis's gaze narrowed on me, squinting and intuitively suspecting that something was going on between Zina and me.

Zina's lips were pressed flat and she pretended to be busy with doing something else while I felt a rush of fear.

I couldn't even  grieve and weep for D'angelo if I so desired because of my crazy and secret relationship with him.

“Why were you consoling her?” Alexis asked Zina with a cold and velvety tone.

Oh no.

“Consoling who?” Zina said, rolling her eyes. “She was reassuring me that my husband is still alive and that I should have faith.”

Alexis' response was a “hmmm,” as opposed to arguing.

“I just hope D'angelo is fine,” she said, her ashy lips trembling like someone who was suppressing her tears. I looked down, my mind racing with the thought of losing D'Angelo.

Zina encouraged Alexis to be strong. After Alexis walked away,  Zina gave my shoulder a small squeeze.

“Watch out for yourself, Kira. It will be dangerous for Alexis to find out that you're D'angelo's mate.”

At about eight pm, there was another broadcast announcing that the war was over and our men were on their way to the pack. Without sparing a second, we all got out of the confined space and Amari grabbed my hand as we joined the women at the border of the pack.

We waited in silence, standing in a circle. I was dying of anxiety. It was so bad that I began bouncing at my feet and feeling too hot and cold at the same time. All that filled my head were the worst-case scenarios and a worry that kept building inside me. The longer time passed and nobody returned home, the more afraid I grew and my heartbeat sped up every single time.

When we finally saw movement coming through the darkness, I was practically shaking in terror.  Speed bikes and vans sped in our direction. Women screamed with excitement, but I couldn’t hear them because my ears were not working right.

The first van slowed down and came into view. Several warriors leaped off of it. Some were badly wounded. The mated ones were running to give their partners hugs and shed joyful tears.

My heart was thumping hard as D'angelo's beta, Leo, leaped off the third van. Leo's wife cried out as she ran to her mate and hugged him tight. They kissed each other with so much affection.

My vision blurred with unshed tears. My wolf howled angrily. My chest began to hurt so badly that it was tearing me apart.

Where was D’Angelo?

Where the fuck was he?

Zion was back safely and alive. Amari's arms flapped like wings and she almost collapsed while rushing to hug him. I was on my way to ask Zina why D'Angelo wasn't here yet and stopped midway because Zina was with Alexis and they were questioning Leo.

“Where is my husband?” Zina asked, her face pale like she was ready to fight and kill anyone who lied to her.

“And where's D'angelo?” Alexis cried. “Please tell me because I'm about to pass out. Tell me he's alive.”