TWENTY-FOUR

Kira

I watched the higher-ranked women laughing and chatting among themselves from a distance, feeling a tightness in my chest. I wondered why the moon goddess was so unfair to give me Omega blood.

Most times, I wished to be a part of them, to be normal, happy, and enjoy life. My thoughts went foggy amidst the confusion of having such feelings.

If the alpha was not my mate, I might not have bothered to be an Omega in the first place. After all, being an Omega was not all that horrible. My thoughts were now inflated with a sense of entitlement and greed.

But I didn't blame myself because they looked so good and healthy, dressed in the latest fashion and makeup, some wearing clothes crusted with real diamonds while others wore expensive dresses in colors that only rich people could afford.

Take Zina, for instance; she had everything she needed— a good life, married to a good husband, her own business going on, her skin clear as glass, and the ability to hold her head high.

They had everything I could ever want, and they were stunning. I felt dirty inside knowing that I could never be one of them. I had been gifted with a good human body but poor werewolf blood.

The more I tried to push away the thoughts, they kept returning and it was becoming harder and harder to keep my mind clear.

I hated my thoughts because covetousness was a bad emotion. I didn't want to have these feelings any longer. I couldn't be like them and that was the harsh truth.

One of the women walked past me, and my eyes couldn't stop staring; she looked so good and elegant.

She had long silver blonde hair that flowed elegantly behind her back, a small diamond earring glittering against her left earlobe, a pretty face, full lips, and a perfect complexion.

"What is taking over your thoughts?" I heard my mom say behind me, placing her hand over my shoulder and giving me a small smile.

I sighed, replying, "Nothing, just wondering how our lives would have been so different if we had stronger blood. Dad would still be here with us."

My mom turned to face me. "That's true, but we shouldn't question the moon goddess. She knows everything and knows why she created us this way. Let me caution you, too: not everything that glitters is gold.

"Some of these women you see are living in unhappy marriages," she continued, lowering her voice. "Although they could be wearing the newest styles, one's happiness is not determined by their appearance."

"Well, I would rather be wealthy and depressed than poor."

She nudged my nose and teased, "Be careful what you wish for. When your dad was with us, we were happy. We didn't have much, but I was satisfied waking up every morning and seeing my husband and baby by my side. Nothing, not wealth, not glitz, or status, comes close to real happiness, Kira."

She gazed at me, allowing the words to fully register. I knew she was lecturing me because of my bond with the alpha. My mom was a very sensible person and had a strong common sense. I knew, too, that I was a little silly and she was right.

"Hey, Kira!" Zina waved at me from the other side of the room with a breezy smile on her face. Her action was on prime display, and my neck went tight as I clutched my mom's arm, trembling because omegas were everywhere.

My mom shot me a glance from the corner of her eye, wanting to know who Zina was. When Zina moved toward us, the omegas were watching us, tilting their heads to the side and whispering among themselves.

"How are you, Kira? Is she your mom? Oh, you don't have to respond because you are her spitting image," Zina said with a laugh.

My mother gave her a genuine smile while showing her respect. Her smile multiplied when I told her that Zina was the vet clinic's owner.