chapter 1- percy

Start bij het begin

Oh, yeah. You haven't met Riptide yet. You've probably heard the saying, "The pen is mightier than the sword." Well, for me, the pen is the sword. It turns into a ballpoint pen that I can never lose. Pretty cool, right?

As soon as we're a foot away, the door creaks open automatically. I look down and see Eta engraved on the pink tile in front of me. The letter H. Hephaestus.

"You're right, we should be careful," I whisper. "I just saw Eta."

Annabeth looks at me with a worried expression, taking cautious steps around the room. I can tell she's trying her best to inhale as little perfume air as possible. At this point, we're practically swimming in the floral scent.

"Achoo!" Grover, who has the most sensitive nose, sneezes.

All of a sudden we're falling down a hatch opened beneath our feet.

"Not again," I say, squinting my eyes as the flashbacks begin.

I hear Annabeth crying my name, begging me to just let go. "You're never getting away from me. Never again." I tell her, passion burning in me, making sure she won't fall. I let go of my small ledge and pull Annabeth close to me. And suddenly we're free falling to Tartarus.

"Noooo!" I scream, waking up from my vision.

Annabeth and Grover are looking at me, concerned. I'm on the floor and feel Annabeth forcing a piece of ambrosia into my mouth. I swallow it, savoring the taste of fresh popcorn.

"What... happened? Where are we?" I ask them.

"Are you okay?" Grover asked me nervously, ignoring my questions.

"What do you mean?"

"You blacked out the second we fell through the shoot." Annabeth explained.

"Oh," I say. I try to stand up, but my head starts pounding. Annabeth notices.

"Sit down. Let the ambrosia sink in for a second."

I force my head into a small nod and stay down.

I look around the cramped room. What is this place? It looks like a cave, kind of like the one where we found Pan before he faded away.

But the difference is that it's not silent. There's a sound I can't quite put my finger on.

Drip drip drip

"What's that sound?" I ask. "Is it water?"

Drip drip drip

"I'm not sure," Annabeth shrugs.

She walks around the small room, trying to find the source. Only when her eyes widen do I notice she's found it.

There's some water." Annabeth frowns, deep in thought. "It's got to be coming from somewhere..."

I look to my satyr friend. "Grover, smell check?"

"Still nothing."

That's when I see it. Ares' shield. It glows faintly in the dark cave. In a pool of water. I stand up, ignoring the shooting pain in my forehead, and begin walking toward it.