vi : no one ever mentions fear

VI. ANYA !
⋆ ★
no one ever mentions fear

                                Anya thought she lost her friend that night. She was in her black t-shirt and fluffy pajamas pants, surrounded by the circle of crystals she had in her room, head pounding as tears poured down her face. Everything hurt. Her migraine was never ending torture, she could feel her soul intact but close to having a shard escape, it was all crumbling down. It didn't help that Coach Hedge spent the first hour after curfew doing his nightly duty, walking up and down the passageway yelling, "Lights out! Settle down! Try to sneak out, and I'll smack you back to Long Island!" He banged his baseball bat against a cabin door whenever he heard a noise, shouting at everyone to go to sleep, which made it impossible for anyone to go to sleep. Anya figured this was the most fun the satyr had had since he'd pretended to be a gym teacher at the Wilderness School.

She kept going back to the moment in the store. Her eyes closed focused on keeping the tars afloat with the chaos around her, and then Percy's hand intertwined with his. And because of his touch they were put in the most excruciating pain. Anya had felt that way when she touched monsters, spirits, anyone untrustworthy. When Medea put her hand on Anya months ago, it was an easy confirmation not to trust her. But Percy. She knew something was up with him; the flickering aura told her otherwise. But he was far from a monster or someone like Medea. The minute Percy's hand touched her, her brain vibrated in pain. If she thought about it, she could still feel the agony. And when they arrived back on the ship seeing Jason awake only made everything worse — the ringing of pain, the auras flickering between him, Percy, and Leo, the chills running through her body. Anya couldn't take it. She couldn't take being on the Argo II, hell, she was even tempted to jump into the water and swim away. Her mind was going crazy, something that had never happened before. The presence of something evil on the ship was unavoidable.

A knock at her cabin door made her jump. It was late, everyone, even Coach Hedge, was supposed to be asleep. Anya stepped out of her crystals to the door, seeing Jason with his arms crossed. He was nervous about seeing her, unsure of what to say. He was worried about Anya and the way she hadn't said a word to him when he woke up — let alone the entire day. Which was true. Anya had avoided him since the minute she saw something was wrong.

"Anya—"

"Please leave," Anya was blunt, her voice full of desperation. She hated it. Jason was her best friend. Sure, she and the others were close. But Piper and Leo didn't have the same understanding of Anya as Jason did. He was the first person she told her secrets to, someone who became her family. But she had to protect her own mind, her soul. After what happened with Percy she wasn't taking any chances. Jason, for a split second, was angry at her. But it quickly turned to hurt. Even he knew Anya wasn't okay.

"What? You're joking, A," he laughed. It was ridiculous. Everything she was saying. Why would she ignore her best friend? "Please just tell me what's up with you. Since yesterday morning you've been antsy."

"I'm not joking, Jason. Not until I figure out what is going on. And you're part of the problem so please just go to bed."

"Anast—"

"Don't call me that name," she only got more irritated hearing him about to call her that name. A name she hadn't been called in years. How dare he try to say it aloud in front of her? Jason always told her it was silly, to hide from a name. And it was. She turned around and began blowing out all of the candles she had turned on. It was time to sleep. Hopefully Jason won't get the message.

"You won't listen to me," Jason excused. Anya shouldn't be so rude, all he wanted to do what check up on her. Because if he didn't who would? No one never really wanted to know the extent of what Anya went through. "If you don't listen, I'm gonna use your real—"