A Walseworth son ~ Chapter 30

England, 1815

The morning sun peeked through the curtains, illuminating the room with a warm, golden glow. Eden slowly opened her eyes and took a moment to gather her thoughts. She laid still for a moment, contemplating the day ahead. The usual sense of anticipation and excitement was absent. She wondered if it was the solitude that hung in the air; the realization that she was alone on a day that was meant to be surrounded by loved ones. She took a deep breath and pushed those thoughts aside, determined not to let her loneliness consume her. She took a deep breath and stretched, relishing the silence that hung in the air. Slowly, she sat up in bed and pushed aside the covers, preparing to start her day.

Eden quickly made her way down the stairs, an old gown that she had received from her mother covered her. The green silk wrapping round her cold body adorned with simple jewels while her hair was loosely tied up and pinned into an acceptable style.

"Happy birthday, my lady." John bobbed his head down as Eden passed, "thank you, John." Eden showed the man a sweet smile, "my children, they made you well." He reached his hands in his pockets, grabbing out a small piece of parchment, handing it to the young woman. Eden opened the folded paper, and it revealed a small doodle of a woman with long brown hair and eyes scribbled green grass below with messy drawn flowers surrounding her and a small crown upon her head coloured the brightest yellow. "They think you are queen cause of your kindness." John smirked, "it was my youngest Elizabeth, she frequently draws." John added, and as Eden stared at the paper, a small lump developed in her throat, one she had to clear away before speaking again. That name that haunts her. It was no fault of John's but of her own. "Tell your dear Elizabeth thank you, truly it's the best gift I have received." Eden gave John another smile yet this time her lips were flat due to the forced nature of trying to hide her welling emotions.

"Your brother is due to visit today, Lord Walseworth." John held his hands in-front of him, his regular stance never changing, "is he ?" Eden questioned it's rare for Gerard to keep a promise, so she didn't get her hopes too high. The last time she had seen Gerard, he was stood outside bidding her goodbye, a solemn look on his face as the carriage whisked Eden away. He made no protest to stop it. "He is, my lady." John nodded, "please John, call me Eden. We are now friends, are we not ?" Eden patted his shoulder lightly, "as you wish, Eden." He bowed his head once more, making Eden laugh. "I do believe I shall have some cake spare as payment for Elizabeth's excellent art, of course." Eden smirked back at the man before walking away to the dining room.

Eden walked to the small drawer that had stood still in her childhood for the past decade. She quietly drew the small book from the top right hand, grabbing the small quill and ink from on top and retreating to the large dinning table, sitting at the head of the table her father's old seat now her eldest brothers. She placed the small book down, the very same one Edward had given just an over a year ago, the lilac embroidered on the front now slowly coming apart, the edges battered and ripped as she flipped through the many scribbled pages trying to find a blank one. Eden stayed there for a few hours scribbling down ingredients and small drawing of how she wanted the cakes and pastries to look tiny silly hope and ambitions of her own as she awaited for the day to pass and as she finally grew bored with her writings the large white door opened to the warm face of the foot man John entering the room.

"My lady, your brother, Lord Walseworth." John stood aside, allowing Gerard to slowly walk past him. "Dear sister." Gerard smiled "brother." Eden sat up in her chair. "That's my seat." He jested, "now it is." Eden stood up, grabbing her book and neatly placing it back in the draw. "Come to the drawing room, it is far too stuffy in here." Gerard stared round the room, his shoulder shrinking in. Eden looked round the large room, it was nothing close to stuffy, and yet she abided her brother's word, following him.