43

ROSE

Motherhood was a difficult journey because it challenged me as a person, as I had to support two other tiny humans who looked at me like I was their entire world.

Helios and Nadia had been in this world for two weeks as I got used to the daily routine by changing diapers, waking up in the middle of the night, breastfeeding, and staying by their side because I was always concerned about them.

Nikolai had been of tremendous help since each time I worried about my babies, he managed to calm me down by explaining that what I'm worried about was totally normal and that the children are doing just fine.

He seemed to know a lot about human anatomy, and about children from various ages. 

"Shhhhhhh," I whispered to Helios because I was breastfeeding him while sitting on an armchair in my bedroom as Nadia was asleep on the bed.

For the time being, they will be sleeping in the same room as me, as I desired them to be near me since they were infants who required maternal affection and care.

So far, Nadia was a quiet baby, she did not cry a lot unless she was hungry, felt too cold or too warm, or if she needed her diaper changed.

Helios was different because he tended to cry a lot, but he always grew quiet when I took him into my embrace.

My children were different from each other as they were fraternal twins, yet I loved them the same.

It was in the middle of the night as I sat on the armchair by the window while breastfeeding Helios.

We sat in the dark because the light in the backyard was enough for me.

I stared out the window and saw a few snowflakes sticking to the glass, since it had snowed heavily during the past week, just before Christmas.

I was staring out the window and nearly fell asleep on the armchair, but I was jolted awake by the phone that began to ring because somebody was calling me.

Helios had seemed to have fallen asleep, but he started to cry at the sound of my ringtone because I had forgotten to turn it off before we went to bed.

I reached out for my phone on the small table beside me, as I turned off my phone while I began to gently calm my son down, and he gradually fell asleep on my chest.

Nadia had not reacted to the sound, and I was terrified that she might have died, but I could see her chest tenderly raising and falling at a peaceful rhythm, which calmed my anxious thoughts.

Both my babies were soundly asleep as my gaze drifted between them, the epitome of my existence, two little humans who I would always love no matter what.

"I love you," I mumbled as I leaned my head and placed a peck on top of Helios head.

After a few moments while Helios slept on my chest, I grabbed my phone from the table, turning off the sound on everything as I checked who had called, and it was none other than my best friend, Perry.

But deep down, I had hoped Lev would call me, to at least check on the babies or the pregnancy, since he did not know that I had given birth yet.

He made no effort to contact me these past two weeks, even if I wished he did for the sake of the twins. 

I drew my gaze away from my phone and towards the ceiling because thoughts of Lev were still stuck in the back of my mind.

If I was honest, each time the twins fell asleep, I silently cried to myself because my broken heart could not be healed with the snap of my fingers even if I wished that was possible.