Chapter 50: This is the End, Goodbye Island of Despair

Welcome to Despair Academy - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Around this time, the real Izuru Kamukura had also made his way inside the Palace using Kaede's phone. And guided by strange whispers that echoed within his mind, he made his way to the central island, towards Jabberwock Rock, and into the underground labyrinth.

Whatever he had expected the world in his mind to look like, it wasn't this. But that was more of a sure enough sign that something was wrong. Almost nothing was out of the range of Kamukura's predictions, not even the Metaverse and its differing logic, and yet...

To put simply, Kamukura felt...disconnected with himself. Like the person he was wasn't the Ultimate Hope anymore. Like his talents were no longer helping him. Honestly, in any given circumstance, that would have been a dream come true for the Ultimate Hope. After all, it freed him of the curse of eternal boredom, never having to put effort into anything he did. But this wasn't a normal circumstance. And it wasn't a good one either.

Whatever it was that compelled him to walk forward, he ascended the escalator and descended into the labyrinth. With a deep breath, he stepped forward and began his journey into the maze.

With his abilities playing up, he had expected this in advance, but he quickly realized that it would not be as simple to navigate the maze as he had first believed as he continued to explore. The tall cobblestone walls blocked his view, preventing him from seeing what was in front of him.

However, it didn't take him long before a roadblock literally came crashing down in front of him from above, and he stumbled back as it almost crushed him underneath it. 

"

"...Did you hear? Isn't it amazing? Apparently, he's been accepted into Hope's Peak Academy..."

"But was he THAT exceptional?"

"Huh? You don't know?"

"...Heh? Know what?"

"Apparently you don't have to be exceptional to get into Hope's Peak Academy..."

"But...it's an academy that recruits only exceptional students from around the world, right?"

Kamukura had no recollection of this event. It had happened long before his creation, and yet watching it stirred something inside him.

He wanted to cover his ears...He wanted to run...He wanted the boy in the picture to be anywhere else but where he was...

"Do you recognize it...?"

"No..." Izuru replied rather casually to a sudden mysterious voice that popped into his head, not questioning its presence, "but...it doesn't look pleasant..."