Chapter 44: The Obligatory Chapter where Makoto becomes a Harem Protagonist

X

Yes...

Yes, you read that chapter title right.

Is this a joke?

Well yeah, the title is a joke, but the description is basically what it says on the tin. 

Suspicion - Persona 5

Of all the trials and tribulations Kyoko Kirigiri had faced, it was absurd that this was somehow one of her most difficult.

As a detective, she'd come under the threat of violence, kidnapping, being held for ransom, and so many other possible messed-up alternatives through the simple act of doing her job and enforcing justice. Being such a gifted investigator made you problematic for would-be criminals and organizations, and it painted a big red target right on her back. Nevertheless, she could fend for herself and had no issues when faced with threats.

In fact, Kyoko was far better at making threats and getting criminals to cave than they were at her. One time, she was held captive and her kidnapper threatened to pour petrol on her and set her on fire. Knowing full well that petrol and gasoline had different properties, the former being lethal for the kidnapper as well in such proximity, Kyoko at the time had kindly explained to him the difference...then simply did the deed for him, dumping the petrol on her body and threatening to light it, freaking the ever-loving fuck out of kidnapper until other detectives had arrived to help her.

Then there were her exploits as a confidant of the Phantom Thieves. As the only known confidant who knew of their powers and methods, and who had been to the Metaverse (obviously barring Chiaki Nanami by this point, and that little incident) she'd stared the worst kinds of death in the face and moved on like it was nothing. Actually, she was still a little uncomfortable from the painful shock she got from the Tiger Mechabeast, but it wasn't stopping her in any way.

Why was ringing a doorbell so much trickier than any of that?

Yesterday, Makoto had offered Kyoko to come round his house to eat lunch with his family. A proposition that she had been glad to accept, not thinking much of it at the time. But now that she'd showed up at his doorstep, she felt...indifferent to the idea.

Nothing to do with Makoto himself. He'd been nothing but supportive and helpful, even when she'd started having doubts about herself and her mission. And she acknowledged that he was doing this purely because he wanted her to have a nice day off, and to hang out not as co-conspirators, but as friends.

Her heart was thumping in her chest though, as she stood in front of said friend's home. She had checked her watch and it was 10 am, so it was still quite early in the morning. With a tight grip, she held the bouquet of sunflowers, hoping it would make his parents happy. At least Detective Kujo had instructed her to bring that sort of offering.

Having not done so correctly the last time she was here, she finally got a good look at the house standing before her, taking in the frame, the length of the fence, the desaturated color of the wall, and more. Despite the fact that this was the second time she had visited the Naegi's household, she was by herself this time. She inhaled deeply, attempting to still the butterflies in her stomach.

Makoto's father Takao had made it clear that their impression of Kyoko was good, inferring that Makoto had already said a lot of good things about her. But she had only briefly spoken to him last time and hadn't had a proper discussion, nor had she properly introduced herself to him or Makoto's mother. Looking back, they had no idea at all about her true nature.

She paused for a second, her mind racing with ideas about their perception of her. Would they get along with her? Would she come across well? Would they let her stay among them for the meal?