Chapter 22: Phantom Muse, Kyoto Blues

Beautiful Dead - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"Hey, Koters?"

Makoto, after stuffing Monomi in his bag out of sight, looked up to see who was addressing him. Standing in front of his desk was his classmate, Junko Enoshima.

"Hello Enoshima-san," Makoto smiled, "what's up?"

"Oh, c'mon, how long have we known each other now?" she winked, "call me Junko, else I ain't gonna respond."

"That's harsh! But...ok..." Makoto flustered, "hello...Junko...What's the matter?"

"Nothing's the matter! I was just wondering if I could borrow you for a sec?" she asked, "there's somewhere I wanna go with you."

"Um..." Makoto shifted in his seat, "I...a-alright...?"

Beautiful Days - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Before Makoto realized it, he ended up in the local Shibuya Shopping Mall near the school and the station. He ended up lugging around some heavy bags for the fashionista girl.

"So, like, the Kyoto trip thing is tomorrow, right?" Junko nattered, "and I was thinking of doing some last-minute shopping just to make sure I have everything ready, y'know? But I figured I'd be buying a lot, so I needed someone to hold my bags."

"That's all you wanted!?" Makoto grunted, honestly annoyed as he struggled to keep all the bags upright, "Why didn't you ask someone strong like Owada-kun or Ogami-san!? Heck, where is Ikusaba-san!? Aren't you guys close friends!?"

"Mukuro's busy right now, and couldn't come with me," Junko told him half-heartedly, "so I needed to find someone else to chill with."

"That still doesn't answer the question of why I'M the one who you picked," Makoto frowned, "we've never really hung out like this, so why invite me out of all people?"

Makoto was surprised when Junko suddenly reached out and took several bags in hand, lightening his load.

"I knew you'd come," she winked, "bitch boy that you are~"

"Why else?" Makoto frowned, unamused.

"Mmm...For your sake, I guess..." she shrugged.

"My sake?" he asked.

"Yeah, like...Sayaka told me you've been feeling down in the dumps recently," Junko told him, "and I know you've been getting help for it and all but...This Kyoto trip's gonna be fun and I don't want any bad vibes, y'know?"

"So you figured you'd cheer me up by...getting me to carry your shopping for you?" Makoto frowned, "Enoshima-san, I-"

"Junko."

"Junko! I...First of all, why do you need so much stuff!?" Makoto exclaimed, "the trip is for one night! We head out tomorrow morning and come back the next evening!"

"Hey, you can never be too prepared," Junko examined her nails, "in my line of work, you've gotta keep up appearances wherever you go, so I've gotta make sure I'm fully prepped and ready for anything that comes my way! I mean, what if I chip a nail or something when I'm examining the statues at the shrine?"

"I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to touch them, so that won't be an issue if you just behave," Makoto remarked, "still, the life of a Fashionista sounds exhausting..."

"Bro, you have NO idea," Junko scoffed, "and I'm an ULTIMATE. Think of the extra mile I gotta go to to keep THAT up..."

Makoto decided it would be best not to question it. He was still curious why it was that Junko had decided to call him out in particular. He had expected that if she was going to invite him, she'd invite everybody, but no, it was just the two of them.