Chapter 9: The Collective Unconscious

Life Goes On - Persona 5

[THE PREVIOUS MORNING...]

"I'm sorry...You want me to find out who's responsible for sending the calling card?" Kyoko asked, "but that was just a meaningless little prank to spite Towa, wasn't it?"

Kyoko stood in the Headmaster's Office at Hope's Peak Academy, having a conversation with four fully grown men.

The first was Jin Kirigiri, the Headmaster, and her father.

The second was Koichi Kizakura, a teacher at Hope's Peak, the lead talent scout, and an old friend of her father's.

The third was Kazuo Tengan, the former Headmaster before Jin took over, who now served as a guidance counselor.

And the fourth was Ashikawa of the Steering Committee.

Alongside Kyoko, the first three men all had concerned looks on their faces, whilst Ashikawa merely greeted her with a smile.

"While I would like to believe so, Young Miss Kirigiri, we cannot be too careful," he told her, "we among the staff would like to know who it was so there's no miscommunication with the media and the police. Your father and Mr Kizakura have already been challenged with the staff, so I would like you to cover the students."

"By herself?" Jin glowered, "sir, even though she is an Ultimate, that is ridiculous."

"I must agree," Tengan frowned, "for one who runs the school, you seem to have very little faith in the people YOU invited to attend it."

"That makes me three," Kizakura chimed in, "even with all that aside, you can't just ask her to investigate the students in secret."

"Look..." Ashikawa pinched the bridge of his nose, "I don't like this any more than you do. But it's BECAUSE we believe in Young Miss Kirigiri's ability that we're even asking her. Rest assured, if you do we will reward you handsomely."

Ashikawa suddenly looked at his watch, raising his eyebrows.

"Sorry, I have somewhere I need to be," he bowed politely, "I expect great things from you though!"

He quickly left and closed the door behind him. As soon as his footsteps down the hallway were out of earshot, Kizakura made a disgruntled noise.

"Who the hell does he think he is, pushing the responsibility of a committee member onto a student?"

"Well, it's not like we can say anything," Tengan reminded him, "in a way, asking the Young Lady to take on this task is just another way she can foster her talent. At least...that's the excuse I expect them to offer."

"I'm very very sorry about this Kyoko..." Jin sighed, "but you know I can't just oppose the higher-ups."

"You're a figurehead who bares all their mistakes, that's all you've ever been," Kyoko scowled, which did emotionally hurt her father a little, "but fine...If they want results, I'll get results..."

She smiled to herself as under her breath, she added.

"Whether I'll show those results is another story..."

Death Wish - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"So that's what happened...?" Makoto asked. Kyoko nodded, her expression sour.

The two of them were now sitting in a more private part of the academy, making sure that no one interrupted their conversation. Talking in the classroom would have attracted too much attention.