Chapter sixty seven

“Do you think he will ever wake up?” Scarlet asked as she folded Asher’s clothes in the duffel bag on the bed.
Alan sighed, “we can only hope. I just hope that he did more harm on that woman they spoke about.”
“Why would you say that?”
“Think about it, if I am your enemy and we have a fight in which I was able to get you bedridden even if for a while, that moment is when I would strike because there is an eighty five percent chance that I would win, even a hundred. So if that woman had walked out of that fight and if she is aware of the state he is in, nothing would stop her from attacking now.”
Scarlet sighed, “you are right, well, let’s just hope that she is more hurt than he is.”
A knock on the door stopped their conversation and Scarlet’s eyes went to it as she called, “come in.”
The door opened and Catherine entered, closing the door behind her. She smiled softly, “you sent for me Luna.”
“Yes, how are you feeling now? You don’t look different than you did in the morning,” Scarlet frowned.
Catherine nodded and glanced down at her feet, “I caught a flu and it was hard diagnosing what it could be. But Luna shouldn’t worry now, I have been in the woods earlier today and was able to get the herbs that I need. I am sure that I would look better in the morning.”
“What’s with the…scarf?” Alan asked with a frown, touching his own neck to show what he means.
“Oh…” Catherine chuckled, “it’s nothing really, I just loved how they looked on Aliyah when she was wearing them and have just adopted the style, is all.”
Scarlet nodded, “okay. Well, I hope you are a little better now, I need you to go with me to check on Aliyah. she had hurt her elbow since yesterday’s morning but she hasn’t healed. I know it might be because of Edward but I would feel safer if you take a look at her, please.”
“Of course Luna, baby Asher is with her right?”
“Of course, where else would he be?”
“Is he hurt?”
Scarlet frowned, “no, why do you ask?”
“Oh nothing, I just want to know if I should pack medication for him as well. You know he is still young and his immune system is still developing.”
“Yes you are right. But no, he is fine, no injury at all. Anyways, I am ready so if there is anything you would like to bring please go bring it so we can leave soon. Aliyah needs to feed so that she can produce milk for h…” the rest of Scarlet’s words were drawn out by a loud piercing scream.
“What the hell was that?” Alan asked and stormed towards the window followed by Scarlet. Catherine remained in her spot, watching them. “It can’t be, rogues?” Alan asked horrified.
“Alan look, the infected nightwalkers,” Scarlet pointed at the fence where Nightwalkers were leaping over it like a piece of cake.
“No, no, no, no,” Alan shouted and turned to head out of the room when he was hit by an invisible force and he was thrown out of the window.
“Alan!” Scarlet screamed and then she felt her head getting light and soon she was surrounded by black smoke. Her vision turned hazy and she closed her eyes and slumped on the floor.
Catherine stepped further into the room and she walked over to her, she stooped over to feel her neck, “I won’t kill you just yet, Luna,” she whispered and stood up, looking over the window where Alan’s body had fallen and was surrounded by the deranged rogues. She smirked and walked over to the bed, picking up the bag that Scarlet had packed before disappearing from the room.
A violent knock sounded on the door and when there was no answer, the door was pushed open and Aton stood by it, “Alpha…” he called but then he saw Scarlet lying on the floor. “Luna,” he screamed and rushed towards her. “Scarlet,” he picked her up, tapping her cheek softly as he tried to wake her up.
“What happened?” Emily shrieked as she rushed into the room, going straight to them to help him.
Aton shook his head, “I don’t know.”
“What about Alan?”
“I can’t find him, here,” he passed Scarlet into her arms and stood up to look over the window. “Oh my God,” he whispered.
“What is it?” Emily asked, sensing the danger laced in his voice.
Aton turned to her, his eyes filled with horror, “we have to get Monica and Anita to the panic room.”
“She was on her way there when I came here. I only came to bring Scarlet, she always goes with us because she helps in calming the frightened wolves. What did you see over the window, tell me Aton.”
“It’s the alpha.”
“What happened to him?”
“He is one of them now.”
“No,” Emily shouted, “he can’t be, not so easily.”
“I’m thinking the same thing. And Scarlet, why isn’t she waking up? I think we are fighting a bigger opponent now.”
“Are we winning?”
“Winning?” Aton looked at her like she had gone crazy. “Our alpha is infected and he is using his alpha strength to fight our warriors, bringing them to their knees as he infect them and you are talking about winning? The only thing we can do is go to the panic room and think of a way to contact Sean and Aliyah, as for this pack, it’s gone.”
“Oh my God,” Emily whimpered as Aton bent over and carried Scarlet. She followed him out of the room and he had to skillfully fight a rogue that had crashed into the lobby through the window. One rogue or another kept entering the mansion and it got to a point that they had laid Scarlet down and fought them off together. Finally making it outside through the backdoor, they started heading to the panic room while trying not to be seen.
‘Monica, are you safely in the panic room?’ Aton asked in the mind link.
‘Yes Beta but I am helping gather the cups and the teens.’ Monica answered back.
Aton wanted to tell her to stop and just make sure she is in the panic room but then he remembered the innocent children and just had to let her do it. “Come on Emily, we are almost there,” he said, carrying Scarlet and running towards the panic room.
“Aton!” Emily yelled and he turned around to see a big brown wolf biting onto Emily’s neck.
“No!” he yelled and the wolf’s white eyes met with him. He whimpered as his lips trembled, his eyes went to his mate who was now convulsing on the ground and tears blurred his vision as he looked back at the wolf, “Alan, why?” he whispered, his eyes going to Scarlet in his arms.
Alan growled and leaped up but a big grey wolf came from the side and knocked him down. Aton watched as the grey wolf placed its giant paw on the brown wolf’s head and snarled at it, forcing it to still even though it was clear in it’s white eyes that it didn’t want to obey. Finally subduing the brown wolf, the grey one removed it’s paw and glanced at Aton who was still standing in the spot with his eyes on the petite grey wolf that has ran away.
‘Go Beta Aton, I will watch you back,’ Damien’s voice rang loud and clear in his head, waking him from his shock and he nodded and still carried Scarlet and turned to run away.
‘What about Sean and Aliyah?’ he asked in the mind link as he ran.
‘I have sent someone to them, I am sure that they would have heard the news by now. But then again, what can they do? This is beyond anything I have ever seen. Almost all the packs have fallen, and the High Howlers are dispersed in each pack to see what was left of it and save who can be saved. This is the end as long as I am looking at it. Who ever that is doing this knows fully well that there is no one to help us, not with King Edward in his slumber.’
Aton couldn’t believe his ears but he still pushed himself to get to the panic room, however, when he got there, he received the shock of his life. The iron door has bite marks all over it and the worst of all, it was lying by the side on the ground and terrified children where inside the room, all looking scared and lost. At one part of the room, a little baby girl was wailing at the top of her voice and when he got closer, he realized that it was none other than his favorite granddaughter. The tears blocking his eyes trailed down his cheeks as he glanced at the broken door, “Monica,” he whispered, his mind thinking of his son and the pain he must be in should he hear of this.
He placed Scarlet on the ground and picked up Anita, trying to coerce her as he slumped on the floor, his eyes closed, will they ever return from this or is this the end?