Chapter sixty-one

Edward chuckled amidst the pain he was going through. “Tempting, I would say but if a woman like you wants the throne this badly, it simply makes me want to hold onto it even more.”
The woman smiled, “but what good is it to you holding onto it when you shall be in slumber really soon?”
“I shall wake up.”
“Aye, but how long? Another eight hundred years? Your son would be old or dead by then if at all he age like night howlers.”
“I shall wake eventually.”
“To chaos and destruction, obviously. Edward, with you out of the picture, there is nothing stopping me from getting whatever I want. Even now, you don’t pose a threat so don’t think everything would be calm and peaceful should you go into slumber nor would you wake up to a calm world.”
Edward knew she spoke of the truth, he could see it in her eyes that the woman meant every word she spoke but what he does not understand was what she really wanted and what her role in the world is playing. He meant it when he said the woman had no soul and so therefore made it hard for him to identify her. It also proved what she said, without a soul, his demon fire can never kill her. Hurt her, yes, but certainly not kill. “I must ask my darling big brother where he picked you from.”
“Picked me? Why that was rude even for you demon king, don’t you think?”
“Why do you need the throne?”
“Why should I tell you?”
“If you can’t then why should I give it to you?”
“For your health.”
“I am not dying.”
“Aye, but if you wish to save your mate and your son, you need to be conscious, not slumbering away in a coffin. So tell me king Edward, what shall it be? Your health or a throne you don’t even want?”
“I think I am going to hold on to it for now,” Edward said.
The woman’s smile fell and her lips turned serious, “you don’t have much time.”
“I will take my chances.”
She scoffed a little, the corner of her lips turning up in a smirk, “what if I offer to make you much more stronger than you are now. You would be feared far and wide, no one can dare challenge you, not even Selene.”
Edward grinned, “that promise would work on my foolish of a brother, not me. He always wondered why our father chose me over him every time but the thing is, he is still a child. I don’t need to be made powerful, I am powerful enough to derive fear from whomever I dim fit. And as for Selene, why would I want her to be afraid of me? She is a goddess.”
“You can be a god, and gods are cherished. Your name will reign far and wide, long even after you have traveled to heaven. You will never die, you will be a legend, with your name feared and respected for millenniums to come.”
“If you can make me that, why not do it on yourself?”
The woman paused and then smiled softly, “I can’t get through to you, can I?”
“Not in this lifetime.”
She scoffed and, in a flash, sent a bolt of black smokes towards him. Edward had suspected that she would attack him and so easily dodged that but then she had sent another. He leapt up in air as the smoke traveled under and then his eyes shone blue as he sent a ball of fire, however, before the fire could reach her, it diminished as his eyes turned bright red. He fell from air and hit his arm on the ground as he groaned. A sound of laughter resonated around him and he looked around to see that the woman’s body had become a shadow of smoke. “You will need to discover who you are to fight me or find a way to merge your powers, otherwise, this is what you are going to be experiencing every single fight.”
Edward snarled as his fangs elongated as well as he claws and he leapt up at her at a speed that even though she saw him coming, couldn’t move fast enough as his claws slashed across her face. She gasped in shock as he landed on his feet. “You seem to forget, I have been a Nightwalker for two millenniums, I can use my body quite well.” He could feel the terrible headache coming once more but he refused to succumb to it, not when a big fight was facing him.
The woman growled as the scratch on her face closed up and she charged at him, flowing in air at a lightening speed. She surrounds him with the smoke and as he tried to clear his view, her fingers curled around his neck. “And you seem to forget, as the Demon king with your fire, you stand a chance to fight me but as a nightwalker, not so much,” she hissed as her nails grew long that they impaled his skin. His blood dripped from her nails and for once, Edward caught a glimpse of her pale face and then she made him look deep into her eyes. They were pitch black and hollow like she had nothing there
As he looked into her hollow of eyes, he could see his life flashing before his eyes, his days in the battlefield as the general. How people fall at his feet with the slash of his sword. He could feel life draining out of him but he still couldn’t look away, it was like he was held spellbound as everything flashed in lightening speed: Dead bodies, blood flowing like a red river. He was choking, and he was supposed to be fighting, he was supposed to be trying to get away from her but instead, he felt himself surrounding. His claws retracting as well as his fangs. The sorrow was clear in his eyes as he could see everything turning dark.
‘Edward,’ he heard, just like that day when he woke up from his slumber. ‘Edward’ the voice called in his mind like the day Aliyah was being punished and he needed to save her. Aliyah, her face flashed in his mind, her smile, the few happy times he got to spend with her, the tears in her eyes when he was dying in that meadow. And then Asher, his son, he finally has the family he has always dreamed of, the family he had always wanted and he was not ready to give that up, not now, not ever.
As he thought of his mate and son, he could feel the fire in him growing as his passion got stronger. In a while, it bursts out of him and he screamed as the fire enveloped him. The case was reversed in a matter of a second and he was now the one strangling the woman. He could see the shock on her pale face, like she never expected him to wake up from her spell. His fire burned brighter as he thought of his hatred for the woman. At that moment, he saw her face taking a shape he had seen somewhere but before he could fully recognize her, she vanished.
Edward glanced around him to make sure he was alone and he waited, wanting to make sure that she wasn’t going to sprang out of nowhere and attack him. When he was finally sure that he was alone, he let himself slump on the floor, succumbing to the pain that was trying to eat him up.
“Aliyah…” he whispered, closing his eyes.
***
“What do you mean by an unescapable danger?” Alan asked, no matter what, his daughter’s life comes first, come what may and he doesn’t care if he would be breaking the number one Alpha’s rule. That was one thing Edward taught him and he intends to carry it out.
“Yes,” Aliyah nodded, “I heal them with my blood. With the amount of the infected, I would be drained of blood to get everyone healed. And should anything happen to me…”
“Edward will attack,” Scarlet interrupted, her face speaking of the horror.
“Yes,” Aliyah nodded, however, Asher started crying unconsolably. Aliyah tried so hard to calm him but he just wouldn’t stop, he kept screaming at the top of his little lungs. Everyone was flustered, he was fine before, why the sudden cry? Scarlet was by Aliyah’s side, trying to help in anyway she can. Right at that moment, Aliyah felt the mask on her mark dissipating and with it gone, she was gripped by a strong pain that the wave of it, caused her to fall. If Scarlet hadn’t been holding Asher and able to take him from her when she fell, it would have been disastrous because Aliyah also hurt herself on the floor.
“Aliyah,” Steven yelled, going to her immediately and helping her sit on the floor. “Oh my God, what happened, your elbow is bleeding. What happened?”
Aliyah was still in shock, even though the wave of pain was subsiding, she knew only one reason she would feel that, Edward was in pain. Everyone started crowding her, asking what was the matter but she couldn’t hear them, neither could she hear Asher’s heart wrenching screams.
“Why aren’t you healing?” Damien asked and at that question, Aliyah finally show a reaction.
“I need to go to Edward.”