Chapter 37 (Odette): Aimée Disparu

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

"Albertine, may I talk to you for a moment?" I asked her early the next morning when I found her in the kitchen. I'd been feeling guilty all night and had come down early to catch her before anyone else was up.

"Of course, my lady."

Stepping closer to her, I looked into her eyes and took her hands in mine.

"I wanted to apologize to you for yesterday. Hugo had told me about your history, and I felt so bad for him that I wanted to push you together so you could maybe talk and resolve your differences. That was wrong of me to do, and I'm sorry."

Albertine looked away and when she looked back at me, her face was bleak, her eyes filled with tears. "My lady, I was so angry when I saw him walking up to the house behind you after you returned. It was as if what he had done was a fresh cut instead of an old wound, even after all these years."

"I'm sorry I took your pain lightly, Albertine. I forged ahead for a happy resolution instead of seeking understanding and perspective from you. I want you to know how much I regret what I've done."

With a small cry, she lifted up her apron and pressed it to her eyes. Oh, no!

"Albertine, let's forget breakfast and go walk. I'd like to hear your side, if you'd be willing to share with me, despite what I've done."

Mopping her eyes with the corner of her apron, she shook her head. "I need to get breakfast for my lord, you and that guest."

"No," I said firmly. "They can fend for themselves today."

With just a bit more hesitation, she finally nodded, and we headed out for a walk, the dogs running ahead or scampering right around us, tails wagging. Although there were designated garden areas liberally scattered throughout the estate, all of the grounds were beautifully landscaped with flowers, flowering bushes and trees, a true delight to the eyes, a rest for the spirit. We walked silently for a few minutes, and Albertine calmed herself. When we came to one of the lakes, we walked along its shores, surprising the occasional frog and were watched carefully by some of the birds hoping to spear a fish.

"I'm sure Hugo told you the whole story."

"Yes, he told me his side. He stole a piece of jewelry so he could give you the rings he wanted you to have and was caught. You almost lost your job until he swore you had nothing to do with the theft, but even so you were demoted to the most menial tasks until you could prove yourself. He returned all of your letters, and was horrible to you the day he was released."

The details of how he felt and why he'd acted as he had I would leave to Hugo to share, if Albertine would speak with him.

"I have no doubt he relayed the facts accurately. But what he doesn't know, since he never read my letters, is how heartbroken I was being without him, and then as I realized he was never going to respond to my letters or communicate in any way with me, I still kept sending him letters filled with my pain. Telling him of my love and loneliness. And he never cared enough to open one single letter."

Oh, but he did care, Albertine!

"And then...I realized maybe he didn't want to be in contact while he was in prison. Maybe he was ashamed so I found out when he was going to be released and waited for him that day. I got there before sunrise since I didn't know what time, exactly, and finally, at eleven thirty-six, he walked out, a free man for the first time in three years. I felt like my heart started beating again for the first time."

We walked in silence for a few minutes.

"Hugo didn't smile when he saw me," she took up the thread again, but much more softly. "He didn't run to me. He just opened his mouth and...hurt me right before he walked away."