Chapter 31 (Odette): He Wasn't Kidding

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

The day in court had been long. My father was called to testify immediately, and his lawyer began arguing that my father should not be on trial because once I got married, I was no longer under Vautour protection so he broke no vampire laws by beating an intruder in his home.

An intruder. My father had called me an intruder.

One he didn't even want to exist.

One he had to be paid to keep alive when I was in my mother's belly. One who had to be paid a yearly sum to keep me in his house.

Heroux stood, his black robes doing nothing to hide the powerful body beneath. 

"May I remind the court that the Vautour was well aware that this intruder was Lady Alarie, my wife, and as such could in no way be mistaken as an intruder and should have been accorded all such deference her position conferred on her as a guest in his home. He seeks to obfuscate the matter by calling her an intruder, when, in fact, it is a simple matter of a vampire willingly and knowingly attacking the wife or the child of another vampire, which, as we all know, is an unforgivable and imminent threat to my family. According to our ancient laws, by rights I can demand his head and the heads of everyone in the family who beat my wife." 

The last two words were bitten off, and the normally controlled Alarie was letting the court know of his extreme displeasure.

"Someone's not happy about that," Aullana said softly to me, and from my other side, Hugo patted my leg.

"Lord Jacques, I must protest Lord Alarie's participation in the trial," my father's lawyer said.

"I would like to make it clear to the court that I am not adjudicating," Heroux's voice was loud enough to be clearly heard by everyone in the courtroom, "but merely asking questions as any member of the Twelve may do, even if they have recused themselves. I would put forward a simple request to the court, a barter if you will, between myself and Lord Vautour. You know that although I have recused myself from the judgment phase, as the Alarie I am still expected to carry out whatever forfeit is determined in the penalty phase. Lord Vautour, if you will allow yourself to be compelled so the court has assurance that the truth is revealed, I swear on my blood I will not ask for or take your head for any of the crimes of which you are found guilty."

No! My stomach felt sick at the thought of my father gaining immunity.

I must have made a sound because Aullana grabbed my hand and leaned over to whisper. "Newton has told me the Alarie hates the Vautours, except you, of course. I wouldn't worry. Lord Alarie worked out a plan with my father to save my sister's husband and to separate your uncle's head from his neck. He could very well be plotting again." 

I would ask you to trust me. I know you have every reason not to, but I would ask it just the same. Trust me to have your back.

"You swear it, Alarie?" My father sounded desperate to save his life. Not a thought to the rest of the family's lives, just his own. "On your blood and on your family's honor?"

"I so swear it," Heroux said solemnly. 

No, Heroux!

"My lord, I must protest this deal," my father's lawyer objected.

"Shut up!" my father snapped at the man. Then he turned to Heroux. "I want you to swear on your blood you will allow no other vampire to take my head, either."

Don't do it, Heroux. Don't negotiate with this horrible excuse for a vampire.

"I grow weary of this bargaining, Lord Vautour. I expect your bride to compel you immediately after I swear so we can stop wasting this court's time. If she does not do it immediately, the offer is off the table."