Beginning Life Here

Start from the beginning

Jimmy flushed red, "Hey! I could totally fit that!"

Grian laughed, "Sure." he said sarcastically.

Jimmy sighed, "Why did I ask to show you around?"

Grian chuckled, "You did this to yourself buddy."

Jimmy rolled his eyes, but he was still smiling.

"Speaking of show me around, do you think you could answer a couple questions I have?" Grian asked.

"Umm..sure. Well, depends."

"I was just wondering...is it true that your town has a superhero?"

"Oh! Yeah! He's pretty chill."

Grian nods slowly.

"Why?" Jimmy asked, tilting his head.

"No reason." Grian said, laughing nervously before it was their turn in line to get some pretzels.

-

Grian was fiddling around with his pen as he muttered the question under his breath, trying to figure out a way to solve the math problem in front of him.

Grian heard the front door open, and he walked downstairs to see his father, who looked exhausted from work.

"Hey dad." Grian said, walking over to Andrew, who smiled.

"Hey bud. How was your first day at your new school?"

Grian shrugs, "It was alright. I made a new friend."

"You did? That's great." Andrew said, walking over to the kitchen to see lasagna in the oven.

"You made dinner?" He asked, turning to face his son.

Grian nodded, "Yeah, I didn't know when you were gonna get home and I got hungry, so." Grian shrugged.

Andrew sighed, "Sorry about that, they held me back."

"It's alright."

"So tell me about this new friend. What's their name?" Andrew asked, getting the lettuce out of the fridge.

Grian got two bowls out of the cabinet and set them on the counter before helping his father make a salad.

"Jimmy. He's in my theatre class. The teacher's said we're going to be doing a version of Harry Potter." Grian said, tearing some of the lettuce and putting it in a blue bowl.

"Oh really? That sounds fun. Are you gonna audition for Harry?" Andrew asked, smiling.

Grian shrugged, "Maybe. Harry's a small roll so I might like it?"

Andrew looked puzzled, "How is he a small role? He's the main character."

Grian giggled, "No, we're doing a version that focuses on the Hufflepuffs."

"...huh."

Grian smiled and the oven beeped.

Both males jumped before Andrew put two oven mitts on his hands and getting the lasagna out.

"Wow, Grian. This smells great!"

Grian smiles proudly, "Thanks! I learned from the best!"

Andrew chuckled quietly, "You certainly did get her cooking genes." Andrew ruffled his son's hair, causing his son to giggle.

Grian finished making the salad and put it on the table while Andrew cut the lasagna and put two pieces on plates.

"Thanks." Grian said, taking one plate from his father before sitting down at the dining table.

They ate in silence at first before Grian looked up at Andrew.

"Dad...do you believe in superheroes?"

Andrew raised an eyebrow, "Er- no, not really. They just exist in the comic book realm."

Grian nodded, not making eye contact with his father.

"Why? Are you nerding out over Marvel now? Moved on from Space Invaders?" Andrew asked, smirking as Grian rolled his eyes.

"It's Star Wars. You know this!!"

"I know, I just like calling it Space Invaders to annoy you." Andrew said, smirking.

Grian sighed, "How did she ever deal with you?"

Andrew chuckled, "She loved it when I told those jokes."

"I doubt that. But seriously, you're gonna get killed by a Star Wars fan if they hear you say that."

"Don't worry, I can protect myself." Andrew said, winking.

Grian snorted, "Not against an entire fandom you can't."

-

Later that night, Grian laid down on his bed and Andrew walked in.

"Did you brush your teeth?" Andrew asked and Grian nodded.

Andrew smiled and kissed his son's forehead.

"Good. Sleep well, alright? I love you."

Grian smiled, "I love you too."

Andrew turned off the lights and gently shut the door.

Grian sighed and turned on his side to look out the window.

His eyelids grew heavy when he saw a figure jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

Grian quickly shot up and narrowed his eyes.

What is that?