Chapter 14

To my surprise, the car was larger inside than I had imagined, with two pairs of plush backseats arranged to face each other

To my surprise, the car was larger inside than I had imagined, with two pairs of plush backseats arranged to face each other. Each seat was upholstered in supple black leather, all the windows were tinted, the sun barely getting through. Soft, ambient lighting bathed the interior in a warm glow to replace the lack of natural light. I felt like I was locked in a small cage, despite the generous space in the car.

The other door opened and Pablo sat on the seat in front of me, having his eyes glued on his phone. I watched him casually typing a message and I couldn't understand how he could be so unaffected by what happened today. Even though the only thing that binds us together is the contract, he still married a person that he knows nothing about. My mind was consumed with thoughts about why he would agree to this, he didn't look like a man who could be forced into a marriage.

"You look at me as if you want to ask me something" his voice snapped me out of my deep thoughts and I felt my cheeks burning as I realized his eyes were raised on me instead of his phone. Was I staring at him all this time?

"Sorry" I rushed to say, shifting my eyes elsewhere, hoping to rid myself of the embarrassment.

"You either ask me what runs through your mind or you stop looking at me like that" he said and my eyes darted back to him. His gaze was focused on his phone screen again and I sighed softly. 

"I just don't understand why you would accept this" I blurted out as he placed his phone on his thigh, focusing all his attention on me. I searched his face for some hint, some clue to understand the mystery, but his expression remained unreadable.

"Your father did me a huge favor in the past, never asking for anything in return back then. Now, he reached out and asked for this in exchange for his prior deeds. It's the least I can do for what he did for me" he explained but what was meant to bring some clarity only made me more confused than before.

"When you say "favor," are you referring to a monetary favor?" I asked trying to understand his puzzle of words.

"Indeed" he simply stated with no other explanation and I frowned.

"You are a millionaire, couldn't you just give him the money back?" I asked in hopes of getting more information about this. It seemed utterly absurd to marry someone's daughter just to settle a debt, whatever the amount was, I doubt he couldn't afford it.

"Bi" he said and my frown deepened. What the hell was he trying to say?

"Excuse me?" I asked frustrated as I struggled to piece together the fragments of his speech.

"Billionaire" his explanation carried a tinge of arrogance and that left me momentarily speechless as my lips parted. 

"I asked a serious question, do you feel funny today?" I snapped at him once I regained my composure and saw the shadow of a smile forming in the corner of his lips, but it disappeared quickly.