Chapter 2

The night was going perfectly, after the unpleasant encounter I had with that man I took my coat off and had a laugh about it with Ethan

The night was going perfectly, after the unpleasant encounter I had with that man I took my coat off and had a laugh about it with Ethan. I loved the way he could always make me feel better, no matter what happened, he always managed to put a smile on my face and make me feel like nothing happened. 

After I took a sip of wine out of my glass, I looked around watching all the people that were slow dancing in the middle. I could see the smiles and giggles from their loved ones, making me smile along with them, enjoying the song that was played. 

The restaurant was one of the best spots in New York, with clean lines and contemporary decor, with polished surfaces and subtle pops of color adding to its inviting ambiance. It had a specific scent of gourmet cuisine that triggered a wave of nostalgia, transporting me back to the day we first crossed paths in this very place, at the same table where we had shared our first conversation. 

"Would you give me the chance to dance with the most beautiful woman?" Ethan's voice got me out of my daydream. A curious smile crept on my face, since when did Ethan want to dance or do anything that might imply other people watching him?

He took my hand into his and stood me up, making our way to the dance floor. With my hands lightly resting on his shoulders, I nestled against his chest, feeling the reassuring touch of his hands on my waist, guiding our movements to the melodic sway of the music. I could practically hear the rapid thud of his heart, and his movements started to betray his nerves, his every gesture filled with a sudden tension. My voice started humming gently in sync with the song, an attempt to soothe his nerves and bring him more comfort.

He cleared his voice loudly and I raised my head to look at what was going on with him and saw his face turned into a pinkish color that made me raise my brows in confusion. I don't understand why all of a sudden he started acting strange. With a fond smile, Ethan distanced himself slightly. Scanning the room, I realized everyone was watching us intently.

"If I could have your attention, I'd like to confess something to everyone here," His words echoed through the air, addressing both the guests at their tables and those who had ventured onto the dance floor. "This place holds a special memory for me, it's where I met this incredible woman two years ago, and I never imagined she'd be so perfectly suited to me. When I met her, I instantly felt like I found the only missing piece from my puzzled life. It felt like I had met the one and I never wanted to let her go because I could already sense the impending disaster if she walked away. I knew I wasn't perfect, but I tried and am still trying to be the perfect man for the woman I am lucky enough to call mine".

My breathing stopped for a moment, trying to process all the words and hold back the tears that started to sting my eyes. I closed my eyes to push back the tears and when I opened them again I gasped and saw Ethan bent down on one knee, holding a beautiful red box in front of me. One of my hands covered my mouth, while the other was placed right on the top of my heart, trying to calm myself, or my heart would have threatened to burst from my chest.

"I always hated the term "girlfriend" cause I never liked how that sounds and you know we always laughed about it" he let out a soft chuckle at the memory, but I couldn't even breathe at that moment so I just stood there, staring at him with teary eyes. "I pray that you'll keep blessing each day of my life with your radiant smile, your caring touches, and your tender kisses, but not as my girlfriend anymore. Before I finish, there's one final thing I'd like to ask you" he said opening the box and I let a tear slide down my cheek as under the subdued lights of the restaurant, I spotted the most dazzling ring, its brilliance a light of beauty in the dimness.

"My love, I love you more than I could ever imagine a person could love someone, will you marry me?" He asked with hope pouring out of his eyes, looking at me with so much adoration I felt I could fall on my knees with him. I felt the air being stuck in my chest and I opened my mouth to say "yes", but I couldn't speak at that moment. So many emotions running through my body, making me shiver.

Taking a moment to collect myself, I stood firm, straightening up and brushing away the tears that had welled up.

"Ethan... baby, of course I will marry you" the words came out of my mouth so naturally, like I've waited so long for this, but in reality, I never imagined that would happen tonight or anywhere in the near future.

His smile grew bigger than I'd ever seen before, while he put the ring on my trembling finger. I just couldn't believe what happened in that moment. Happiness filled my heart so damn much I felt I could die, suffocated by so much joy and love. I never thought I could feel these emotions so intense until now. My whole world just changed and Ethan was my whole universe, I could never stop smiling from now on.

He stood up and pulled me into a tight hug before smashing his lips on mine, sharing the happiness we both felt while we heard the whole room clapping their hands for us. At some point, all of the sounds were muted and it was just us, all I could hear were our uneven breaths melting into each other.

My head was spinning, feeling dizzy when we pulled apart, but I still admired his beauty, his eyes shining, lips curled in a big smile, cheeks a bit red. I never thought I could love a man this much, and I don't believe I could ever love someone again if he would leave. He is my happy place, the person I find my comfort in, the person I can be myself with and not feel judged because we match that perfectly, the person I would give my life for, and nevertheless, the love of my life.