Chapter 12

As I slowly woke up, confusion enveloped my senses, leaving me disoriented and uncertain of my surroundings

As I slowly woke up, confusion enveloped my senses, leaving me disoriented and uncertain of my surroundings. My sight gradually started to focus, and I saw many people around me, but I couldn't recognize their faces yet, nothing was completely clear, a light fog still upon my eyes. Multiple voices clashed and melted in my ears, blending together into an indistinguishable mass of noise, causing a chaotic whirlwind within my mind.

I blinked repeatedly, gradually regaining my composure, and then scanned my surroundings once more. As the haze lifted, I began to identify the people around me. Abi knelt before me, her expression betraying deep concern. Her lips were moving, but I couldn't manage to distinguish the words that came out. My father was standing beside her, but despite his attempts to convey a message, I found myself unable to comprehend his words, my gaze shifting back and forth between them in confusion.

I glanced upward, only to find myself locking eyes with the one individual I least wanted to see again. Pablo was standing composed behind my father, watching me with what looked like boredom more than worry. My eyes lowered to his lips, but unlike Abi and my father, his lips weren't moving, they were simply pressed in a thin line, looking like he was getting impatient about something, but his eyes were still empty of any kind of emotion.

"Natalia!" suddenly Abi's clear voice rang very loud into my ears, instantly making me snap my gaze at her. All the sounds started to form into clear words.

"Are you okay, angel?" my father asked taking my hand into his, his eyes were searching for an answer in my lost gaze, but I wasn't sure how I felt.

"Of course she isn't okay, she fainted a minute ago and looks like she would rather die than ever marry this man" Abi gave him a death stare and my father rolled his eyes, looking like he chose not to engage with her attitude at that moment.

"Natalia, please say something, you scared me so much" she turned her attention back to me, but I couldn't get a word out of my mouth, the air becoming heavier. I opened my mouth to say something but all of a sudden I felt out of breath, realizing what was going on before I fainted, and a choking wave of panic flushed through me.

"Take deep breaths, doll, calm down, everything will be alright" Abi placed her hands on both of my cheeks and I just then realized that I was gasping for air, but no amount of it was reaching my lungs. The sound of my father's voice echoed in my ears, but he spoke too quietly to hear him over the ringing in my ears.

"You're adding to her distress, she needs space to breathe, from both of you" Pablo's deep and calm voice seemed to silence the chaos raging in my head.

"You don't know shit about her, so you can shut the hell up, nobody asked for your opinion" I heard Abi fire back at him through the sound of my hectic breathing.

"I might not know shit about her, but I know how to deal with someone in her state, unlike you" his voice was calm and calculated, in contrast to their agitated and impulsive ones.