𝟎𝟔𝟖 | It's Nice to Have a Friend

             REALITY, A BITTER NECTAR, LINGERS on the tongue. It etches truth into souls, leaving them marked by its indelible ink. 

Luckily, Ophelia had not been hit by the acrid taste of reality yet. And neither had Theodore Nott.

 No, the two were still twisted in their own little fantasy world of deception and trickery, too high up in the clouds of delusion to taste the realism of their situation.

There is a distinct line between truth and falsehood. Which is why it is utterly unfathomable how Ophelia and Theo found themselves playing tug of war with the real and the fake, when the two are meant to be polar opposites. Indeed, they had lost themselves in each other, their desire for each other so fierce that they had caused both, the truthfulness and the falsification to twist into a giant, tangled web they now called fake dating.

There was nothing fake about the way Theo and Ophelia would kiss each other in empty classrooms and broom closets.

Nor was there anything real when Theo referred to Ophelia as his girlfriend in public.

The two were mere puppets to fate, playing a part in front of each other. Neither would mention anything about the fact that they would even be dating for fake behind closed doors.

It felt a lot like real dating; the way Theo would hold her hand when they were together, or let her lie in his lap when they both read their books beside the Black Lake, or the way Theo would always show up for her Quidditch practices.

But they called it fake dating for the sole reason of not having to talk about the feelings that were beginning to get involved. 

Not once did they dare to utter the dreaded question, what are we?, in fear that if those three words were spoken, it would ruin everything; the whole dynamic of their unique relationship.

But once again, things had to change.

For fate despised anything to stay constant for even a week. 

Ophelia had spent yet another week successfully avoiding Colin. But eventually, she had to speak to him. There was no other way.

Especially how they were stuck as potions partners for the rest of the year.

Colin had been very patient with her. He had tried to speak to her multiple times, but never once did he lose his temper. In fact, when she had fallen asleep in one of her classes, he had even taken notes for her and gathered her books into a neat pile.

Ophelia was finding it very hard to continue ignore him.

Which is why, exactly nine days since Valentine's day, Ophelia was in the potions classroom, adding her mother of pearl powder to the current simmering mixture of lacewing flies and aconite.