𝟎𝟎𝟔 | No Tears Left to Cry

                OPHELIA'S STOMACH CHURNED UNPLEASANTLY AT the very thought that her father was here, as a million thoughts flooded her mind and her breathing became heavier.

Why was he here? Was he part of the Triwizard Committee? Was he on duty for the Board of Governors? Or was he here simply because she wasn't responding to his letters? Did Professor McGonagall write to him?

She knew his eyes were scanning the hall, looking for her while pretending to be engaged in conversation with Karkaroff. And then she looked down at her empty plate, feeling the intense stare of her father, all the way from across the Great Hall. It felt like there was no distance. She could feel his eyes on her, and she pretended not to notice, or even acknowledge his presence.

She could barely hear Dumbledore's speech.

"— just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports. We are also accompanied by Lucius Malfoy, overseer of the tournament, Head of the Board of Governors of Hogwarts, and representative of the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge."

Until she could bear it no longer, and she stood up, excusing herself to the bathroom, clutching her stomach and feeling sick. Throwing the door open of a cubicle, she heaved the entire contents of her stomach into the toilet, and flushed it, before wiping her mouth and collapsing to the floor, leaning against the wall of the cubicle, unable to stop the tears that ran down her cheeks.

As much as she loved her father, she couldn't bear him to see her like this, in such a mess. Knowing it would hurt him, she hadn't written to him at all, or opened his letters, in fear that she'd end up telling him about Colin, and about Theodore.

And she wouldn't be able to stop him from getting angry. And she wouldn't be able to stop Theodore Nott and Colin Creevey from enduring her father's wrath.

She stayed in the bathroom on the floor for a few more minutes, until she calmed down. Washing her face and gargling her mouth, she reapplied her makeup before leaving the bathroom, where Professor McGonagall was already waiting for her.

"Miss Malfoy," began the transfiguration teacher.

"I don't want to talk to you," she said bluntly. "You told my father, didn't you?" she accused. "That's why he's here!"

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips. "Miss Malfoy, I can assure you, I do not know why your father is here, and I haven't written to him at all, except to reply to the five letters he's sent me, where I assured him you are doing well."