𝟎𝟒𝟓 | Ivy

             COLIN'S LIPS TASTED OF TREACLE. Kissing him was exactly what Ophelia had expected. He tasted sweet and gentle, like everything golden in this world, and his woody scent filled her nostrils, giving her the feeling that she stood in a sunlit meadow with trees as she basked in the bliss of worshipping his lips. Her hands were on either side of his face, and she slowly moved her lips against his, kissing him deeply, trying to make up for all the months she spent without him.

Trying to live in the sunlit meadow forever.

Only for Colin to suddenly pull her back to reality.

He never kissed her back.

When Ophelia pulled away, she looked up into his eyes. His hazel eyes were wide with surprise.

"What the fuck, Ophelia?" Colin groaned, stepping back away from her, his eyes wide. He ran his hands down his face.

Ophelia squeezed her eyes shut, tears spilling down her cheeks at an alarming rate. "I'm... I'm sorry," she whispered. "I couldn't... I couldn't help it..."

"I have a girlfriend," he reminded her, his voice a tight rasp, barely a whisper. "Why would you do that?"

"Because..." she began, a small whimper leaving her lips. "Sometimes... Sometimes I get mixed signals from you!"

"Oh, sweetheart," Colin pulled her into a hug. Ophelia tried to push him away, but his grip was too tight. "I'm really sorry if you felt that way," he whispered as he stroked her hair. 

He pulled away, looking into her eyes. 

Wiping her tears away, he said, "I thought you knew.. My feelings for you are only platonic," he told her quietly. "But if I didn't have a girlfriend, I'd try it out with you..."

Ophelia's gray eyes looked slightly more hopeful. "You would? R-really?"

He nodded. "Really. You're one of the most wonderful people I know."

"So break up with her," Ophelia whispered, her soft, innocent, gray eyes silently begging him to do as she asked.

If only it were that easy, sweet innocent princess, someone should have told her.

Someone should have taught her about matters of the heart.

But nobody did.

Colin sighed deeply, wiping the tears that fell from her eyes with his thumbs. "Ophelia... sweetheart..." he began, trying to figure out how to let her down without hurting her. "I... I can't do that," he murmured. "I love her."

At this, Ophelia let out a choked sob. "I... I don't want to hear," she whimpered. "Please." Her heart shattered into two, as all hope she held of him ever being hers vanished.