Chapter 23

When you caught up with the others, you found yourself in a long hallway of stone, with the occasional lush green vine wrapped around a lamp that protruded from the wall on either side. A massive glass window was at the very end of the hall, with intricate transparent designs etched into it with various colours of gold, green and blue, with the occasional tiny red and turquoise dots and swirls near the outer edges of the window. Something that looked much like a chandelier hung from the ceiling in front of it, small candles barely giving any light due to the window overwhelming all chances of it shining its light. The stone walls of the hall were a creamy-white, and doors lined the sides, indicating rooms behind them.

The two elves, man, and dwarf walked calmly ahead of you, exchanging small talk and an occasional laugh. You walked close behind them, not wanting to be left behind and half-listening in to their conversations. You found the current conversation rather boring to be honest, as they were discussing something about leadership and blah blah blah. It wasn't until you heard your name that you perked up.

"So who's the young lady?" Elrohir was saying.

"That is Y/n," Aragorn replied, and if you didn't know better, you could have sworn he sounded almost fond. "It's... complicated, but she's tagging along for this quest to stop the shadow."

"You are rather brave, Y/n," Elrohir said, looking down at you over his shoulder. "It takes great courage to leave one's home and enter an unfamiliar and unforgiving land."

You blushed slightly. "Well, these two make it bearable," you joked, punching Gimli's shoulder lightly.

"Is she taken?" Elladan whispers to Aragorn, though it wasn't even close to a whisper, reaching your ears easily.

Elrohir punched his brother's shoulder, glaring at him. "Manners?" he hissed. You couldn't help a small giggle escape you as Elrohir rolled his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "My apologies, lady Y/n. My brother here has yet to discover the meaning of politeness to a lady."

Elladan feigned shock, placing a hand to his chest. "Why I never--ow!"

You and Aragorn continued to laugh at their brotherly squabble, and even Gimli couldn't hold back a grin, though he was shaking his head and muttering something about 'son's of the Lord of Imladris, my foot' or something like that. Eventually Elrohir managed to shut Elladan up for a moment, and he absentmindedly straightened his robes. He smiled apologetically at you, though you could tell it was strained from the irritation clearly still radiating from him to his brother. "My apologies again, lady Y/n. Now, if we will show you to your room?" Without another word Elrohir strode down the hall, an air of irritation boiling around him. Elladan shrugged innocently and followed his brother, and the rest of you also did.

Not a moment later you were at the door to your room, with Elrohir opening it for you. He stepped aside so you could enter, and you did, hovering at the doorway.

"Your room, mi'lady," Elrohir said, bowing his head slightly. "If you wish for any refreshments or requests, don't hesitate to come find either of us. We will come to find you when it is dinner."

"Thank you," you said sincerely, smiling up at the taller elf.

"But seriously are you taken?" Elladan almost squeaked, peering from behind Elrohir's shoulder. Elrohir elbowed him hard in the ribs, causing the other elf to double over, clutching his stomach. Elrohir continued to smile at you, though it was clearly strained. "Excuse him."

"But seriously–"

"Yes, she's taken Elladan!" Aragorn groaned in exasperation. "Now move." He nudged Elladan away, and Elrohir shut your door with a polite nod to you. You stood by the door, listening to the fading voices of the brothers.