Chapter 4

You got to ride with Legolas on his white steed, and you were secretly thrilled. You felt as if you were in a fantasy and all your dreams were coming true, except you didn't know what your dreams were because you didn't have a memory. Well, not really, you were slowly recovering it. Slowly seemed like an eternity, even though you'd only been in Middle-Earth for not even a day.

You were riding with an elf, a man and a dwarf, and they had given no information about themselves. You could tell that they were suspicious of you, with the way they continually shot narrowed-eyed glances at you and kept stiff postures. It may make yourself sound a little silly, but you felt a little proud of yourself being able to spot such small things. Suddenly Aragorn, who was at the lead, stopped.

"Let us stop here for the night," Aragorn declared, then shot Legolas and Gimli a look that said 'and decide what to do with the girl.'

You looked up, realising that the sun was only then beginning to drop. Even though you were concealed beneath trees, orange sunlight leaked through the leaves, lighting up the forest in a somewhat beautiful way. Legolas' horse stopped, and Legolas dismounted. He turned to help you off, but you slid off easily, landing on nimble feet on the cushiony soft grass. Legolas gave a small smile, then turned to help Gimli dismount, which the dwarf loudly denied.

"I can perfectly well get off my horse, elf," Gimli declared. "No help needed."

"You said that last time," Legolas said, a smile pulling at the edge of his mouth. "And you fell."

"Aye, but not this time, laddie," Gimli said defiantly. You watched as the dwarf pulled his leg over the side of the pony, gripping the reins tightly. Suddenly he lurched sideways, and the pony reared in sudden fright, running off with a frightened whinny, leaving a disgruntled Gimli. The pony bolted past you, and you did the first thing that came to mind. Chase it.

The three horsemen let out yells, calling you back. You didn't listen. True, you were kinda tired from the long ride, but you didn't want the small pony to get lost. You felt a need to protect it. You leaped nimbly over the scattered branches on the forest floor, not slowing your pace. It seemed oddly natural, and your mind flashed back to a time when you'd been in a forest, running through it like now, except the sun had been high in the sky and the ground less soft. It had felt natural then, and it did now as well. There was something about the forest that made you feel happy and safe, and you felt that you could fly through it. Well, if you'd felt like that while running from the orcs, that would have been much more helpful and you wouldn't have tripped over all those roots. You shook your head, clearing it to focus on the present. You were chasing a runaway pony, and you had to focus. After running for a while, you stopped, panting heavily. You looked around, looking for any signs of the pony. There! A hoofprint in the grass, and another. You knelt down next to it, looking for where it led. You followed the prints, kneeling close to the hoofprints as you did so. You eventually reached a small clearing, and you saw the dwarf's pony, grazing peacefully. You stood, walking slowly over to it. You extended a hand cautiously, as to not seem a threat.

"Hi there," you said gently, approaching. The pony's head shot up and it stared at you with wide, scared eyes. "Hey, it's alright. "I'm here to help. I gotta take you back to camp."

You suddenly heard a voice in your head, so clear and real that you froze.

I don't want to go back.

You blinked, trying to figure out what you'd just heard. Did that pony just...talk to you?

Please don't take me back. My master scared me.

You gaped, realising that this pony was talking to you. You spoke, trying to decide if you were hallucinating. "Did you...did you just...talk to me?"