Chapter 11

"I told you, we can't tell her."

"And why is that?"

"It'll wreck her! She'lll be confused, and it may stray her from her path that she has chosen."

"And what path may that be?"

"I don't know, she could become a star here! A moviestar, even. You cannot distract her from her destiny here."

"She must be told."

"If she is told, then she may begin to realise her powers as what she is. I can already see them leaking through. She is the fittest in her class, and the most aware out of all of us. I thought when we had a child, I would have hoped that she wouldn't turn out with a bit of–"

The voice was cut off. You peeked around the corner of the staircase, trying to get a glimpse of your parents arguing below. Why had Mother stopped talking? And why had Father been talking of telling me of who I really am? I am a regular grade ten student who tries her best in school. Nothing special. Just an ordinary person. You suddenly heard your father's voice again, and you perked your ears to listen.

"If you do not want her to find out, then you are doing a terrible job, yelling it out like that," Father hissed. He let out a long sigh. "Why must we always fight, Ruth?"

Mother was silent for a long moment. "She is dangerous," Mother said finally. "Like you."

You felt like you'd been punched in the gut, but you kept on listening, tears filling your eyes.

"Do not speak of our daughter like that!" Father snapped. "She is here, whether we like it or not, and we must take care of her. And that includes telling her the truth."

"Maybe one day, but not today," Mother whispered. You almost didn't hear her, you had to lean down even more, your head sticking out around the top of the stairs. "You came here, Valandir. To escape your world."

"There is way more to it than that," Father snapped.

"That is besides the point," Mother continued, her voice dangerously quiet. You crept down to the first step, then slowly to the second. "She might expose us. If she finds out what she is, she could go blabbering it all to her friends. I am impressed that they haven't discovered you yet."

"She is not a threat," Father insisted.

"I believe she is," Mother argued. Your breath caught in your throat, and you froze.

Mother thinks that I am a threat?

You could see your parents now, Mother pacing the living room and Father watching her, completely still. Suddenly Mother stopped and leaned close to Father. You had to really perk your ears to hear this next sentence. "If we want to go back to our lives before, we will have to dispose of her. We have to move on."

What?

What was Mother talking about? Surely she didn't mean it...You were their child!

"You mean to send her off to an orphanage?" Father spat.

"No, I mean we hand her over to the government," Mother hissed. "Think about it. If we hand over a breed such as her, our reward would be enormous. Don't you see? With this reward, we could go wherever we wanted, whenever we wanted, and we'd have the life we always wanted–just me and you."

A tear escaped you. Then more, until tears were pouring down your face uncontrollably. How could Mother be so cruel? But you couldn't leave. You couldn't possibly leave them, for you'd be lost without them. True, you were sixteen and could probably make it to the nearest bus stop in time before they noticed you were gone...But were you willing to leave? It all came down if you were willing to leave your parents now while you had the chance, or if you were willing to wait until they handed you over to the government for prize money. Selfish.