Chapter 20

No! I won't! You can't make me!

I'm sorry. I'm not strong enough.

Legolas strained, fighting against the voice ringing in his head, controlling his body. But his eyes were locked on the figure beneath him and the knife ready to plunge into their heart. He fought back with all his strength, desperately trying to lift the knife away from Gimli beneath him. But it was no use, as the knife slowly dropped lower and lower. Suddenly he felt a heavy weight slam into him, sending him rolling away from Gimli. Oh thank the Valar. But he was up again in an instant against his will, facing Aragorn off. But, to Legolas' great relief, the shadow took control of him and he was running off to the window, leaping feet-first out the window. Without hesitation he sped away from the house, leaping over the gate to Sam Gamgee's home. Legolas willingly ran with the shadow, wanting to get as far away as possible from his friends so he wouldn't hurt them. He felt the shadow's emotions from inside him as if they were his own, threatening to overwhelm him. But all he was focused on right now was to get as far away from his friends as possible, which for once he and the shadow could agree on. He ran throughout the whole Shire, leaping over hedges and anything that stood in his way. After what seemed like ages, he reached the border of the Shire and without hesitation sprinted past it. He continued like that for a few more minutes until the shadow was sure that he was far away enough, and it brought Legolas to a halt. Suddenly it left Legolas, pulling itself away from him like a vast void, coming to a stop before the elf, floating before him. Legolas instantly whipped out a knife, lashing at the shadow. But he was stopped abruptly, and his hand burned. He dropped the knife, gripping his wrist with pain.

"Be careful where your loyalties lie," the shadow hissed. "You are mine now. Your loyalty lies with me, whether cooperatively or not. Either way, you will succumb to me."

"I will never!" Legolas said defiantly.

"Oh, but what a little choice you have, my dear elf." The shadow made a horrible hissing sound, sounding like burnt grass rustling against sand. "I am in control of you. You have nothing."

"I will never work for you for as long as I live!" Legolas hissed.

"Ah, but you will," the shadow persisted. "And you will help me with one very important deed indeed. The girl."

Y/n?

Why would it want Y/n? She was simply a girl who'd come from a different universe. What was so special about her that this shadow wanted her so much? Not that he didn't think she wasn't special...

"What do you want with her?" Legolas said carefully.

"You know so little about her, boy," the shadow hissed menacingly. "She is more than you think. She is a halfbreed, she cannot be here. Especially because of her breed."

"She is only a human!" Legolas protested angrily.

"Oh, Legolas, how little do you know." The shadow laughed. "She didn't tell you? She is, indeed, a human, but she is something else. She is part elf."

Legolas felt as if he'd been hit in the head with a troll's fist. Y/n, part elf? That was impossible. She'd come from a foreign land, unknown to the people of Middle-Earth. She was human, and that was all. The shadow was just trying to confuse him. But...on one side it made sense. Her unexplained agility and connection with nature, as well as being drawn to Middle-Earth. Her being half-elf must have drawn her to this place, this place full of such cruelty. It was no place for such a perfect elleth. She deserved better. Though she seemed to enjoy it here, for some reason beyond his understanding. It was a beautiful land, but filled with such cruelty and death it was a wonder anyone would want to actually come here. But, defying the odds, Y/n had wanted to. And here she was. Among heroes of Middle-Earth, and great warriors. It made sense now that she was an elf. Everything just fitted into place. She was connected to this land. She was one of them. And because of this, he would defend her with his life.